Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
it claims it s cd quality, i have a pretty decent system in my car but a very bad temporary deck, i am goign to purchase a new deck tomorrow from you gusy experience is aux-in or line- in whatever you want to call it the plug from teh headphone ipod, doe sit give a good quality of sound? i imagine the decks that have teh add on for teh 30 pin connector sound better and if its way better i will invest in it but iw anted to know what you guys thought about the regular line-in plug vs ipod ready 30 pins decks..

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
If you're plugging from the headphone socket to a line in then the sound will be degraded by the fact you are overloading the input stage.

Use a dock connector line out to a line in and the sound will be comparable to the best sound you can get out of the iPod. (of course, ICE systems aren't the ultimate in Hi-Fi)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
bartelby is correct.

the output from the dock connector is better than the headphone port.

thats said though, the aux in route is superior quality compared to a tape adaptor or an FM transmitter.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I have this plugged into the CD changer port on the back of my Toyota factory stereo and it's the best thing I've used in a car.

Blows away an FM Transmitter, and much better than the cassette tape adapter.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I've got a Pioneer unit that hooks up through the dock connector and gives great sound. The only problem is that the plug for the iPod is in the glovebox.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I use aux for my iPod and it really isn't that bad. Sounds good to me but I'm no audiophile.

The only thing that annoys me sometimes is that if you lower or raise the volume on the iPod and then raise or lower it on the car stereo, the volume will either be very loud or very low because they are out of sync.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
From my experience the ipod connector has actually been less expensive than the headphone jack one. THat's how it was at car toys with an alpine deck we bought.

rwagoner

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
RPV, CA
If you're plugging from the headphone socket to a line in then the sound will be degraded by the fact you are overloading the input stage.

Use a dock connector line out to a line in and the sound will be comparable to the best sound you can get out of the iPod. (of course, ICE systems aren't the ultimate in Hi-Fi)

Actually, the level is the same.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Actually, the level is the same.

*sigh*

Line level is a term used to denote the strength of an audio signal used to transmit analog sound information between audio components such as CD and DVD players, TVs, audio amplifiers, and mixing consoles.

In contrast to line level, there are weaker audio signals, such as those from microphones and instrument pickups, and stronger signals, such as those used to drive headphones and loudspeakers. The strength of the various signals does not necessarily correlate with the output voltage of a device; it also depends on the source's output impedance, or the amount of current available to drive different loads.

rwagoner

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
RPV, CA
*sigh*

Line level is a term used to denote the strength of an audio signal used to transmit analog sound information between audio components such as CD and DVD players, TVs, audio amplifiers, and mixing consoles.

In contrast to line level, there are weaker audio signals, such as those from microphones and instrument pickups, and stronger signals, such as those used to drive headphones and loudspeakers. The strength of the various signals does not necessarily correlate with the output voltage of a device; it also depends on the source's output impedance, or the amount of current available to drive different loads.

The line level output from the dock connector can also drive headphones.

The regular headphone output from any iPod will not overload an auxilary input on a car stereo or home stereo.

Measure them both. They have the same voltage. I sincerely doubt the impedance is much different, if at all. The dock connector output is nothing more than the max headphone output, as it simply bypasses the volume control circuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.