Really on the fence, thinking of cancelling my new Mac Mini order

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bounou, Oct 18, 2014.

  1. bounou macrumors 6502


    Jun 6, 2012
    currently using a 2012 base mini with the ram upgraded to 8GB. It feels slow which in sure in large is related to the 5400 RPM drive.

    Yesterday I ordered the mid tier model with an upgrade to a fusion drive.

    I'm on the fence between keeping my old Mini and swapping the HD for a 256 GB or maybe a hybrid drive or letting the order go through and getting the new mini.

    The new one was close to 1150$ CAD which is pretty damn pricy when you think about it.

    I'll sell the old one for about 400$ probably and the one has AppleCare so in fairness the price difference to upgrade is closer to 600$

    It's not crazy money for me but it's not pocket change either.

    This would be a lot easier if Apple had released a new version of the Mac Pro or the iMac with retina display was more powerful, I was expecting to upgrade to one of the two but now I'm stuck with a Mini as my only computer for a while.

    Whatever I decide I will end up keeping the computer I decide on as its current job is the media server in the house.

    I'm leaning towards getting the new one and maybe getting a LG 34UM95-P to go with it.

    I really don't want buyers remorse on this thing :(
  2. Spink10 Suspended


    Nov 3, 2011
    Keep the 2012 and stick a SSD in it.

    What tasks are causing it to bog down? I bet the hold up is with the HD.
  3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

    Jul 7, 2008
    You can add a 256 GB SSD to your current Mini for $200. Seems like a no brainer to me, but it's your money.
  4. fathergll macrumors 65816

    Sep 3, 2014
  5. icerabbit macrumors regular

    Jul 2, 2006
    I'd forget about the new mini.

    Forget about fusion drives. Put in a fast SSD as a primary, maybe double the RAM (if you max it out frequently), keep the old hard drive as a secondary drive. Both fit in the mini with a drive doubler. Clone the hard drive to the solid state drive. Partition the old drive in two sections to have a mirror copy of the SSD and mass storage. Best thing I did was maxxing out my '12 core i7 mini. See macsales / other world computing for easy compatible upgrades and videos.
  6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

    Sep 5, 2013
    Oregon, USA
    Yeah, unless you need the faster wifi or the like, pop an SSD in there and your savings in the bank. Come back for the next version.
  7. con19m31 macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2014
    I got my 2012 mini this past June, with 256G SSD and put in 16G RAM. Its a great machine for xCode development, and having now experienced SSD versus HD, I have no plans to ever buy another computer without SSD.

    The difference is astounding so I agree with the others that said keep it and get an SSD.
  8. philipma1957, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

    philipma1957 macrumors 603


    Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    have to agree ssd is the way to go. if you are bad at upgrades an external ssd as a boot drive is pretty snappy especially if you connect via thunderbolt.
  9. xheathen macrumors 6502

    Aug 5, 2010
    My vote is to keep your old mini and try and build one. I kept my old one around in case it didn't work or there were issues after the last disappointing mini release. But as it happened, after building it I had maybe 2 quick issues with sound and not a hiccup since the last mini release. So my old mini is just collecting dust and I haven't looked back.
  10. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 4, 2009
    Your old machine is better. If it's sluggish, the 2014 will be even worse.
  11. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

    Nov 16, 2012
    All who listen to me end up agreeing about SSD's!

    I am actually considering a NEW mini IF the SSD proves to be substantially faster and fully takes advantage of the PCIe m.2 connection.
  12. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    How is the new mid-tier Mac mini worse than the base model 2012 machine?

Share This Page