Really simple question about deletion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Outsidebox, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Outsidebox macrumors newbie

If I delete stuff from iTunes, to get back a TON of space, will I still have the apps on my iTunes account? can I download them for free again?

Also, speaking of space, I'm trying to update my iPad, and it says I can update without backing up, and then it says it can't go any further because it wasn't able to back up because it's full.

2. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Yes. All of your apps are always there for you to download...regardless of whether or not they exist on your phone. You'll have access to them as long as THEY still exist in the AppStore. I learned this caveat the hard way. If the app is replaced, removed or no longer available for any other reason...and you delete that app without backing the specific app through iTunes to your computer, you'll no longer be able to get 'er back. If there are older apps or one apple pulled off the store (tether, iMame, etc)....save them. Also older games you dig that may have been updated with a new version or IAP edition...save those as well

As to your second question...how much space do you have? The new update may require the extra space that you're occupying already...OR, if you've not unchecked some of your apps, media, etc...it just doesn't have enough for both. Which version (OS) are you on? Which are you trying to update to? Which iPad model do you own?

J

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yes you can always redownload apps.

Is the problem the space on your iPad or your computer? If it'd the space on your iPad you may have to restore+update (losing all your stuff) and if it's the space on the computer just delete some old junk from it to make space for the backup.

4. Outsidebox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! although one thing I have to say is I was able to download a game deleted from the appstore (the turn based TNA game) by going on the installed section of the updates screen. How's that?

----------

So it lies when it says I can update without backing up (and lose everything)?