Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I'm currently signed up with T-Mobile with a Blackberry. I've always wanted an iPhone though, and am about to be let out of my 2 year contract in about a month or two.

My question is: Should I get one immediately after my contract ends or should I wait around for whenever the next iPhone comes out?

I really can't be without a phone and waiting even a month or two for an unconfirmed September release sounds kind of torturous.
What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, are there any users in NYC here? How's the AT&T service? I know a lot of people complain about it, but I really like that it's GSM and can be unlocked to be used in other countries. I frequently go down to Mexico so yeah, that's sort of a huge plus for me. But I'm willing to bite that bullet if it means absolutely terrible service.

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'm currently signed up with T-Mobile with a Blackberry. I've always wanted an iPhone though, and am about to be let out of my 2 year contract in about a month or two.

My question is: Should I get one immediately after my contract ends or should I wait around for whenever the next iPhone comes out?

I really can't be without a phone and waiting even a month or two for an unconfirmed September release sounds kind of torturous.
What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, are there any users in NYC here? How's the AT&T service? I know a lot of people complain about it, but I really like that it's GSM and can be unlocked to be used in other countries. I frequently go down to Mexico so yeah, that's sort of a huge plus for me. But I'm willing to bite that bullet if it means absolutely terrible service.

What do you want to hear from strangers? If you need a phone now and want an iPhone now buy an iPhone. If not, wait to see what comes. Seems simple to me. What happens with the iPhone5 comes and there is talk of the iPhone6, will you wait longer, and then wait for the 7 version or whatever comes next????

AT&T sux, period. I can sit in the middle of NYC and watch my signal go from 3G full bars, to zero bars, to 3G and then to GPRS, and cannot make a call, all without moving an INCH! It is rare to make a call anywhere in NYC and not have it dropped, etc. If my company weren't paying for my phone I wouldn't give that crap company a penny of my own money for the terrible service they provide. It's a joke.

The one thing AT&T has over a lot of others is great international roaming and plans.

DDar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
What do you want to hear from strangers? If you need a phone now and want an iPhone now buy an iPhone. If not, wait to see what comes. Seems simple to me. What happens with the iPhone5 comes and there is talk of the iPhone6, will you wait longer, and then wait for the 7 version or whatever comes next????

AT&T sux, period. I can sit in the middle of NYC and watch my signal go from 3G full bars, to zero bars, to 3G and then to GPRS, and cannot make a call. It is rare to make a call anywhere in NYC and not have it dropped, etc. If my company weren't paying for my phone I wouldn't give that crap company a penny of my own money for the terrible service they provide. It's a joke.
Ouch.

Well, the thing is I hear we might be seeing the iPhone 5 as early as June. However, we MIGHT have to wait until 2012...

I was just sort of hoping someone had some info I didn't that I could go on as I really want an iPhone, but would rather not be locked out of the latest and greatest device if it's only a little way off...

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Personally, if I were in your situation, I would go ahead and purchase the iPhone now. Even if one was to believe in the current rumors, it appears as though the next iPhone isn't going to be available until early next year (I am not Steve Jobs though, so dont hold me to it. ;))

I live on the west coast, so I would not be one to suggest an answer for your second question. Just from guessing however, I would not think that the network should be that bad, that it would be completely unbearable. Then again, I wouldn't know.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Ouch.

Well, the thing is I hear we might be seeing the iPhone 5 as early as June. However, we MIGHT have to wait until 2012...

I was just sort of hoping someone had some info I didn't that I could go on as I really want an iPhone, but would rather not be locked out of the latest and greatest device if it's only a little way off...

It is an Apple device NO ONE has information that is unknown and most times the information that is out there is wrong. Also, this is the internet, despite popular understanding, not everything is true and not everyone has your best interest in mind.

Like I said, you wouldn't just stop a stranger on the street and ask them a personal question about buying a somewhat expensive device would you? No difference here honestly speaking. You are better making that part of the decision yourself, IMHO anyway. Not trying to be harsh, just honest.

Forums like this are better left to factual and objective advice and not personal or subjective advice IMHO again...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I live on the west coast, so I would not be one to suggest an answer for your second question. Just from guessing however, I would not think that the network should be that bad, that it would be completely unbearable. Then again, I wouldn't know.

AT&T within the greater NYC area is often unavailable, slow, drops data and voice connections and in short, unbearable when compared to Verizon. It really is that bad. I'd say more than half my calls are dropped (whether I am moving or not) and about 30% of the time I cannot make a data connection or my connection freezes while loading pages or emails in the greater NYC area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.