Really want an iPhone. Should I wait in Limbo, or just sign up with a service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDar, May 24, 2011.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I'm currently signed up with T-Mobile with a Blackberry. I've always wanted an iPhone though, and am about to be let out of my 2 year contract in about a month or two.

My question is: Should I get one immediately after my contract ends or should I wait around for whenever the next iPhone comes out?

I really can't be without a phone and waiting even a month or two for an unconfirmed September release sounds kind of torturous/dangerous if rumors do prove true and the phone is delayed until 2012...
    What do you guys think?

Also, are there any users in NYC here? How's the AT&T service? I know a lot of people complain about it, but I really like that it's GSM and can be unlocked to be used in other countries. I frequently go down to Mexico so yeah, that's sort of a huge plus for me. But I'm willing to bite that bullet if it means absolutely terrible service.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

you can continue your t-mobile service without signing a new contract. just keep paying your monthly bill until youre ready to port.

3. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Oh, that's great!

Well I guess I'll just keep doing that until the iPhone 5 is released. Any idea when we'll be let know around when that'll be?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you are asking too early. Since you aren't planning on switching in at least 1-2 months, you never know what might change in that period.
    AT&T isn't that bad in NYC. People just over exaggerate the service. Voice goes fine, but data can get a little slow during business/rush hours. I wouldn't be worried about AT&T's coverage in NYC. You won't get 'absolutely terrible' service. And as the other poster mentioned, you can still use T-Mobile after the contract ends. You just won't have to pay fees to get out whether you cancel the day your contract ends, or 2 months after it ends.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Who knows, t-mobile may get the iPhone this time around. Nobody knows other than apple.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree with the general consensus that you should wait. If rumors hold true we'll be getting one phone that uses the new Qualcomm chip to work on both GMS and CDMA (aka a "World Phone"). I can't see Apple keeping T-Mobile out of the mix this time seeing as exclusivity agreements have all expired here in the states.

Just hold out, we'll know a little more here in a couple of weeks at WWDC (at least we'll know for sure if it's coming out in June) and then you can make a better decision.

7. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Any chance they'll drop hints even if it's coming out in September?

8. pearboss macrumors newbie

If your not going to get the "4S" I say get the white 4 because it's extremely sexy

9. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Funny story, I actually don't like the white iPhone. It just doesn't look good to me. :S

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I doubt they'll give us any hints at WWDC, most likely they'll allow us to get all of our little details from hints left within the developer builds of iOS 5.

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Agreed, if they don't actually release it at WWDC then I think there is pretty much no chance of them even mentioning it. If it does not get mentioned I think it is a pretty safe bet that there will be another event held a couple months later and it will be out in September.

Wait for the next version.

12. MarrkDaviid macrumors member

The iPhone 4S or 5 (whatever it is called) will most likely be released in either September this year, or March-June next year, in my opinion. I personally would not wait for the new model, because you could potentially be waiting 12 months. If I was you, I would get an iPhone 4, and sell it when the iPhone 4S or 5 comes out. iPhones have pretty good resale value, and you would only need to put a few hundred dollars towards the new model. You could then continue using your new iPhone on your existing contract.

I plan on selling my iPhone 4 shortly after the new model comes out, I will then buy the new iPhone outright from Apple, and use my existing contract, which expires in January 2013.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

March-June next year? Where do you get that idea from?

OP, wait it out. The new iPhone should be here in September, it makes sense since the iPod event is getting stale.

14. DDar, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

The chance of it not debuting until June next year has been thrown out there on rumor sites. Its been said that the iPhone 5 won't actually go into production until September. If that's true it's very likely we won't be seeing it until next year.
    I'm personally just PRAYING that they announce it for June because I want an iPhone SO MUCH.

On a side note, is casing really important for an iPhone? Or can you carry it around in your jean pockets naked without worry of it scratching?

Also, is there any way of Grandfathering myself into the Verizon unlimited data plan WITHOUT signing a two-year contract?

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I really hope they announce it at WWDC like in the past... Idk, I prefer the idea of getting a new phone in June/July than in September

16. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Same. Also, why mess with the pre-established cycle, right?

17. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

maybe for you but all my experience with AT&T inside manhattan and queens were HORRIBLE. AT&T sucks in nyc. yeah everyone is exaggerating sureee :rolleyes:

18. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Was that just concerning signal and dropped calls, or were your data speeds horrible too?

19. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

In most thing's in life, iphones, marriage, new job, home, or car; I tell people if you can afford it and want it get it now. You could be dead tomorrow. So why not get the thing you want now?

If the UN keeps being horse dung stupid we will probably see a world war in September anyway. Elenin the failed star is supposed to swing close in September and cause mega volcanoes and quakes all over along with a pole shift and solar winds torching of some areas of the globe. Who knows?

Thats the point. Nobody knows what "later" will be like. If a new phone makes you even a little bit happy just go get it.

My opinion.

20. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I always get horrible data speeds in NYC. Sadly it's been close to a year since I've been there, so things might be a little better now.

21. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

data speed, call quality & dropped calls were a HUGE issue. I couldn't hold a call for more than 5 minutes driving up park ave. i still cant. thank god i sold my at&t iphone and got a verizon iphone. i still have a at&t line but thats my work blackberry for email only, doesn't really require fast internet; etc.

btw, this was my original iphone 4 with at&t and i had apple swap it out b.c i thought it was the phone and the same issue with the 2nd phone. So it wasn't the phones fault it was the service.

aslo jsut to add something, i see no reason to get AT&T over Verizon. They have the almost the same prices. they copy each other. Its not like you save money with AT&T. So why pay the same $$ as verizon but get ******** service? Also for mexico trips; etc, just buy a cheap global phone, or wait for the iphone 4s/5, which hopefully will be gsm + cdma.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Wait and you'll enjoy a brand new iPhone 5! You can't go wrong with that!

23. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, apparently my contract ends on July 24th or 25th. I'm absolutely dying for an iPhone. My Blackberry is really starting to annoy the heck outta me.

Does anyone know what the upgrade period is? I know if you buy a Macbook within a certain timeframe of an upgrade you can just exchange it for the newer one. Is it the same for the iPhone?