Reason for lack of leaks on new 16” MBP

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Perhaps it’s because I’m used to seeing most of the details on new iPhones and iPads released before official announcements, but is there a reason we don’t have more unified information regarding the 16” MBP? I understand that handheld devices far outsell the mobile computing market but you would think Apple would be more invested in guarding that lineup from leaks than their general computing line. I find it odd that nothing of note has really been leaked regarding an updated MBP line.

This leads me to believe that the next update will be just that, a marginal update. I feel as though if there was a major redesign, even if it was mostly internal and not visible to easily distinguish modest changes when viewing the device externally, more information, design, or production leaks would be out by now, especially if the device truly is in production. Does this mean the “new” 16” MBP is just the current 15” MBP with a larger screen, smaller bezels, and roughly the same internals? I hope not as I feel that Apple is rapidly falling behind in mobile computing (on every front; laptops and tablets included). Apple will always have the advantage when it come a to ecosystem, aesthetics, and simplicity of use, but they are no longer the leader in innovation.

I was really hoping to see them release a more “pro” choice in a laptop, even if it was extraordinary priced. Seeing a company like ASUS fitting a desktop GPU (for design, not gaming) in a relatively compact laptop just shows how much effort other companies are putting into their mobile computing products.

Obviously none of us know, and even those in the press releasing the limited information that they have doesn’t mean that any specific product will be released. Just hoping to see some more innovation from this arm of Apple.

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2014
It is going to be a marginal update. Its been said several times that the body style will remain the same with the same ports and same overall dimensions, but with shrunk down bezels for the larger screen. It's supposed to have an improved keyboard as well. Beyond that I would expect a spec bump and not a whole lot more than that.

Zen_Arcade

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2019
There's a front page article that talks about the 16" using the same CPU generation as the current 15.4" models, so it does not appear that there's anything for Apple to use as an "upgrade."

I've long said that Apple reached a bridge too far with the 2016+ 15" MBPs in terms of thinness, keyboard, port elimination, battery reduction, cooling, etc. I, and many others, would welcome something in between the 2015 design and the current design, that allowed for a non-butterfly keyboard, larger battery, better cooling, etc. But I'm not holding my breath, and have had to switch to a Thinkpad to get a usable keyboard (and no ludicrous touchbar).

mario-64

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Do we have any indication if the 16” will have a better GPU than Vega 20?

mragarg

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Atlanta, GA
It could be that Apple is going through the same process they did with the Mac Pro. That lead them to have no leaks what so ever on the Mac Pro (unless I missed some).

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Do we have any indication if the 16” will have a better GPU than Vega 20?
Its rumoured release coincides rather closely with the rumours of mobile Navi cards. I expect custom Navi with HBM2/HBM2E.

pshufd

macrumors 68000
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It could be that Apple is going through the same process they did with the Mac Pro. That lead them to have no leaks what so ever on the Mac Pro (unless I missed some).
The Mac Pro is a niche system. The MacBook Pro sells far more units. I am disappointed that there haven't been more leaks at this time too.

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
Also I thought there was a blurb about cook making a change that will help with mitigating leaks. Perhaps it started with the 16inch mbp. Just a guess.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
An iPhone is a smaller device, so easier to sneak one to a quiet corner to take a photo. The iPhone is also made in much bigger numbers, so a single one is less likely to be missed temporarily. It is a lot more difficult to leak a laptop.

pshufd

macrumors 68000
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
An iPhone is a smaller device, so easier to sneak one to a quiet corner to take a photo. The iPhone is also made in much bigger numbers, so a single one is less likely to be missed temporarily. It is a lot more difficult to leak a laptop.
You can leak a picture or comments on the device. It doesn't need to be the actual device.

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
It is going to be a marginal update. Its been said several times that the body style will remain the same with the same ports and same overall dimensions, but with shrunk down bezels for the larger screen. It's supposed to have an improved keyboard as well. Beyond that I would expect a spec bump and not a whole lot more than that.
If that's true then I'd expect this to be a silent update or at most a mention in the September event. I don't see how there could be a separate October event just for this (even with potentially a new iPad).

I'm hoping this is more than just a "marginal update".

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2014
If that's true then I'd expect this to be a silent update or at least a mention in the September event. I don't see how there could be a separate October event just for this (and at most, a new iPad).
Apple knows how to squeeze maximum time out of small upgrades. They can easily hold a separate event for the new screen size and improved keyboard. Look at iOS 13, they spent an incredible amount of time on dark mode when really it just needed to be mentioned as a new feature and then move on.

The new screen size and keyboard is all they need for an event, coupled with some other minor upgrades.

pshufd

macrumors 68000
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Apple knows how to squeeze maximum time out of small upgrades. They can easily hold a separate event for the new screen size and improved keyboard. Look at iOS 13, they spent an incredible amount of time on dark mode when really it just needed to be mentioned as a new feature and then move on.

The new screen size and keyboard is all they need for an event, coupled with some other minor upgrades.
There are some small upgrades that can really improve the user experience.

I've dusted off some old Windows desktops lately and have been thinking of doing some upgrades to supplement my old MacBook Pros. I need to run macOS but not for every application.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
There are some small upgrades that can really improve the user experience.

I've dusted off some old Windows desktops lately and have been thinking of doing some upgrades to supplement my old MacBook Pros. I need to run macOS but not for every application.

Linux distros on old Windows hardware can really fly if that works.

pshufd

macrumors 68000
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Linux distros on old Windows hardware can really fly if that works.
Two of the applications I need run better on Windows than on Linux or macOS. One of them runs under Wine and routinely hangs on macOS. It's a 2008 Dell XPS Studio 435MT. Nehalem i7, at least 24 GB of RAM capacity (I'm going to experiment to see if it will support 48), and it runs a lot quieter than MacBook Pros under load - but then it's a desktop. Yes, it's Windows and it's also Windows Update but those are able to coexist with actually using the system together. Apple is good at extracting $$$s from users. In many cases, the value is there. But the experience had better be perfect; and it hasn't been the past four years.

I hope that they fix that. In the meantime, I'm using my old hardware and supplementing it with even older hardware.