Reason to get iPhone over Android: Apple awarded the mother of all smartphone patents

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Looks like Apple just got awarded a patent that will CRUSH the android manufacturers :D

http://m.bgr.com/2012/07/18/apple-patent-touch-ui-android-lawsuit/
    I sure wouldn't want to buy a phone that is going to get banned from sale (and left for dead) or stripped of features like the Galaxy Nexus just was and that future Android phones will now that Apple has this weapon at their disposal.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

This won't do ****. Posting stuff like this is only going to incite flame wars and ruin these once good forums even more.

And the wording of this patent seems to suggest it is to stop someone directly copying the GUI.

3. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Considering half the threads on this forum are about people switching to Android, I doubt one pro-iPhone thread (however oversensational it may be) is going to cause too much trouble.

4. Kyrra macrumors member

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The way I see it, allowing patents like this is going to force one thing to happen: patent law reform.

6. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice try but no, that's not the same patent being discussed in this thread.

Your link talks about the disappearing scrollbar patent Apple won. This thread is talking about the "mother of all smartphone patents" that Apple was awarded as well just today.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

After losing universal search on my SGSIII, patents are really starting to irritate me on both sides. Yeah, it's hypocritical, but I didn't do anything wrong. I bought a phone. It's all my fault.

8. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

Why purchase an android phone that is going to get stripped of its features because it stole them from Apple?

Go with the iPhone and you don't have to worry about any of the nonsense that you do with Android :)

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yes and sacrifice everything I like about android that I still currently have. Can you imagine how not revolutionary the iPhone will be when it has no competition?

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Successfully defending your IP spurs innovation and competition, not inhibits it.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You mean, like the first iPhone? Would you consider that one "not revolutionary" ?

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It was, but it would have numerous awful features if it weren't for pressure from the competition.

13. Kyrra macrumors member

Please, tell me the patent # in question then. Just saying "you're wrong" isn't all that helpful.

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You are definitely a total fanboy...And a fanboy who up votes his own posts;)

These articles are not even worth reading.

Patents in this country are a joke. It's all got to change. And Apple is going to force the laws to change sooner rather then later with all the rediculous patents they apply for. They are taking advantage of a majorily flawed system. I don't fault apple for doing so, but it's laughable.

15. depths macrumors regular

depths

There is no point commenting on this at MacRumors, there's too many people here that are unable to look at the situation without bias.

16. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

17. Daveoc64, Jul 18, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed.

Apple has been awarded* many patents.

Apple has tried to enforce many of those patents in court.

They've won on some occasions, but what's happened?

Is Android slowing down? - No

Is Android not the most popular mobile OS? - No

Have people had their phone taken away from them? - No

The reality is that by the time a lawsuit goes anywhere, the device in question has been discontinued and is obsolete. In the most prominent cases, a free software update has removed the offending "functionality".

*Remember that being awarded a patent does not mean that it is 100% legal. Many patents are deemed to be invalid or to not apply to real life products in court. The patent office doesn't have the time to scrutinise each application to the full extent possible.

More specifically in this case, I question:

a) How relevant this is to other platforms
    b) How different Apple's designs are to platforms like Windows Mobile or Palm OS

a) Android has a different design philosophy to iOS. You do things like pressing and holding an item on the screen, resulting in a menu appearing (similar to right clicking on a computer). iOS doesn't tend to use that concept (Apple doesn't like it), so they have more buttons. Android devices use a physical (or on-screen) back button, rather than having a button that is part of the application.

b) Palm and Microsoft had mobile devices that only had on-screen keyboards years before Apple did. It doesn't really matter that they used a stylus or how clunky they were - they still had it there first, so I think it would be hard for Apple to defend that.

18. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

When a company is allowed to patent a SCROLLING BAR you know the system is out of touch. It needs reforming.

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

LOL. A bit sensationalist. Apple patented their GUI for email, messaging and calling. This means absolutely nothing. Other phones do not copy the iphones GUI. They may be similar, but they would have to be exact copies to be sued.

So again, how is this supposed to 'crush' Android?

----------

The scrolling bar (which Apple didn't invent), is so Apple can sue every computer and tablet manufacturer on the planet. :D

20. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

And you definitely haven't seen the threads I've started then ;)

I'm no fanboy, I criticize Apple like crazy... just that I thought this patent in particular was really interesting and wanted to spread the word.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Just curious, which phone or device had a patented vanishing scroll bar before iOS?

22. Rennir macrumors 6502

So this is awesome news for consumers right? :D We should all be extremely happy to buy an iPhone or otherwise have severely crippled functionality on our phones. I'm overjoyed already ;)

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Unpossible.

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

How does Apple get a patent for widgets when they don't support them in iOS yet?

25. Technarchy, Jul 18, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Any company worth a damn will patent every idea they ever imagined for the sake of protecting future innovations.

In Apple's case they learned a lot from the Microsoft fiasco in the 80's.

Putting up defenses to prevent another Bill Gates/Microsoft situation is a natural reaction.