Reasons for the 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monaarts, Sep 11, 2013.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

So I thought about it last night and I think I know why Apple has decided to release the iPhone 5C instead of just lowering the price of the iPhone 5 (Other than cheaper manufacturing costs)...

It now puts Apple in the position to have a brand new, redesigned iPhone every year. With increased competition i think this is important. Let me give you an example:

2013: New iPhone 5C & upped iPhone 5S
    2014: Upped iPhone 5C & redesigned iPhone 6
    2015: Redesigned iPhone 6C & upped iPhone 6s
    Etc, etc.

2. macbd macrumors regular

Yep. I think this whole thing is a setup for the iPhone 6. The iPhone 5s is going to be another "iPad 3".

Yesterday was really all about establishing the 5c as the "middle market" phone going forward. That is why it is only a little bit less expensive than the 5s. Also, this is why when you go to apple.com the first thing you see is the 5c. And you can only pre-order the 5c. Not to mention the fact that the keynote was in a small venue, with no live stream, and it felt rushed.

I think the 5s is nothing but a placeholder for the 6. Apple knows they've got to get a larger screened phone out there pronto, but obviously not everybody wants a larger screen. So my guess is that probably in about 6-ish months we will see the iPhone 6 come out and replace the 5s. So it will be the 6 & the 5c. Also, because of the larger screen (touch id, and other new bells & whistles), what do you want to bet it starts at $299. That puts further separation between it and the 5c.

3. zedzded macrumors regular

They are still selling the 4S in Australia so I would imagine there is still plenty of 5 stock left. How the hell are they going to sell any 5Cs??

4. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

The 5C is going to sell better than the iPhone 5S IMO. Apple knows roughly how many iPhone 5s devices they will sell because of the iPhone 4s, 3GS, etc. But they haven't released a brand-new mid-market phone in the past, hence the pre-order only on that phone.

Older adults (aged 40+), younger children (ages 17 and below), and women (ages 18-40) are going to be the primary target for the 5C. So think about it, that really leaves men of 18-40 and I think business people of all ages and sexes as the primary target for the 5S.