Reasons I love January 2 of any year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Dec 24, 2009.

?

Why do you love January 2nd?

1. The holidays are officially over.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. I love my job and want to get back to work.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Better drivers on the road, probably more sober.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. No more obligatory parties to worry about.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. I can focus on the NFL, and not get my TV blocked by college bowls.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Jesus was born in March or April so this whole Christmas thing is a commercial shopping sham. :)

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. I get sad on that day because the holiday season is over.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  8. Other reason, please post.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am a Bah Humbug person.

I can't stand Christmas because it brings out the worst in more people than bringing about the best.

Being a devout Christian, and very well read, there is no evidence Christ was born on December 25th, plus celebrating Christ, for Christians, should be every day.

People learn how to actually stand in line and wait their turn on January 2nd.

Cutting down trees for an outdated pagan ritual is just plain stupid, not to mention horrible for the environment which needs every tree we have. There is always some local idiot around here who goes into a national or state park and chops down a tree for Christmas, but this pretty much exemplifies the attitude of rude people in December whether it's the tree cutters in the park or the pushy Christmas sale shoppers.

Drivers on the road are far more likely to be sober.

And I can struggle trying to write 2 0 1 0 on my checks. :)

Anyway, Happy Holidays for those of you who love this time of year.

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

3. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I don't like it because I have to go back to class. I'd rather party than study electromagnetic field theory.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Is that your way of saying you didn't fill out any of the poll options? ;)

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I enjoy having dinner with my family which I am off to do now...but I hate everything else about it, traffic, not being able to shop for normal things because people are "christmas shopping", the fake cheer nonsense, the entitlement (as evidenced by a recent article where parents were angry and complaining there were not enough free toys for the kids in some city) etc.

It's cool that kids get excited about things but that's all I can think is worth it. I can have dinner with people any time and the holidays make everything else a hassle so I vote "bah humbug" too ;)

And January 2 is not so great around here because people are still out in mass trying to return gifts, some are still partying and making noise, trash is all over...etc etc.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I like it because I can sit at home or go on holiday without having to work :D

... I'm in government and this year get to slack off until the 11th :p

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

With the economy, I think the complaining happened in more than a few cities as the Toys for Tots program couldn't meet demand.

But, I do agree that the best part of Christmas is being able to run errands without the crowds. With a newborn, I had to make sure to stock up before he was born on any consumables or risk trying to buy diapers while fighting the crowds at Target/WM or waiting through the mass package deliveries that Amazon has to send out.

Most importantly, for me, though, is that the trains will run on their regular schedule again. That means cutting a good 45 minutes off my commute home as the express gets going again and having a backup train available in the mornings in case I can't get our of the house by 5:15.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In my little world the holiday ends Jan 9th, the day after my birthday. My family (and girlfriend) are big on the whole birthday celebration thing and since I work from home, I'm allowed to take the extra few days off ;).

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i voted that the holidays are over, from thanksgiving on, i hate going everywhere. Stores are crowed to the point i can't stand them. Its a pain in the butt to get around town. Once the kiddies are back in school i'm happy... again
    Now on MR we get a million threads on the same topic "new to mac plz help" :p

10. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

But Shaniqua screaming at a Marine volunteer that the her kids didn't get FREE toys is pathetic. It's entitlement and disgusts me. Kids see this behavior and emulate it. FFS it's not like Toys For Tots sold all the toys and drank beer with the funds...not enough stuff got donated. Simple. The uproar certain people created over it is obscene.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

What!!?

How am I the only one to vote for the NFL option?? :D

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I love January 2nd because it happens to be my birthday. Not that the other reasons in the poll weren't compelling...but I obviously voted 'other'.

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

You need to add "because the kids go back to school" to your poll as an option.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Looking forward to getting back to college, christmas vacation is starting to wear on me a little.

15. MotleyPete macrumors regular

For me, I feel like the start of a New Year begins on Boxing Day, or the day after If I'm hung over.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

NFL playoffs, no stupid baseball, and the Mavs start to kick it up. I hear Jason Kidd :confused: will be doin' the 3-point contest this year. What!? Oh yea and college basketball. I like January-March.