Reasons to get iPad Mini if you already have an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PatrickW98, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

Post reasons to get the iPad Mini if you already have an iPad.

I have a 3rd gen iPad and I don't see a point in getting a mini.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Then don't get it, problem solved. No reason in trying to convince yourself you need it.

3. PatrickW98 thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

I am not going to get one anyways. I just want to see if people have a good reason to get one.

4. nStyle macrumors 6502a

For reference, I own an iP3. Pre-ordered the iPM

Portability, lighter for reading, more personal. Those three reasons do it for me.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Mostly for when I'm holding it reading for long periods.

I'll still favour the 9.7" iPad in meetings. But the mini should be a better sofa companion and, in theory, should be easier to take 'everywhere'.

Thanks to iCloud it's super easy to own multiple iOS devices now and not give a thought to which one you pick up.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

for traveling and on the road presentations with keynote...had a kindle fire and loved the size vs my ipad3....

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

8. felch macrumors member

I have no reason to buy a mini. My Galaxy Note with unlimited data fills the mid size tablet role and the ipad4 is replacing my ipad2. Then there is my 4th Gen touch below that.

I would have gotten an ipad mini for my wife but she is loving her kindle fire and prime membership.

9. nataliamck macrumors 6502

I use my iPad 3 for media. I love the big screen when watching movies/tv shows while travelling or just not in the house.

I bought an iPad mini for general browsing/emails etc as I would prefer a smaller device for the basic stuff.

So I have a 64GB iPad 3 to store all my media and bought a 16GB iPad Mini for basic things :D

10. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I currently own an iPad 3rd Gen with 4G. (I had the iPad 2 and iPad 1 before).

I find myself using my rMBP when I need to use a computer of some sort when I'm out. I tend to use the iPad only in bed when I do some laid back web browsing. It otherwise is used for the occasional flights and vacations.

I'm not a heavy user by all means.

It's weight, size and price are the factors that are interesting to me. Because it would make it more pleasant for the purpose it has with me. The iPad 3rd gen will simply be sold as I have no purpose for it anyway. I'll end up gaining +/- 200 eu's from the transition when I buy the iPad Mini 16GB w/ smart cover.

It has only benefits for me. I liked my iPad 3rd Gen but often found it a bit heavy for pleasant use in bed and a tad to big. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big guy and exercise daily, but it's not as comfortable as I would like it to be.

The non-retina issue does not bother me as my gf's/parents/grandparents iPad 2 screen still looks fine to me.

It's just a relaxation device and because it's light and cheap, it's fine.

11. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

12. kalt macrumors regular

But why would you want a mini if you already have an ipad 3 or 4? Why sacrifice the Retina display? The ipad isn't that heavy, come on. I think it's the perfect size for reading books and web browsing.

I'm really shocked that anyone would prefer a mini to a full ipad. Not trying to bash anyone, I just don't get it. The only thing that makes sense to me is if you're a teenage girl who finds it cute (which has been mentioned on other threads, I'm not trying to be snarky).

13. glen e macrumors 68030

as said above....do you travel for a living? spend 3 or 4 days on the road in 4 or 5 diff airports and hotels and you'll see one place the mini works better....

14. 328xi macrumors member

Just got my 32 gig mini tonight. Absolutely awesome! I am upgrading from an iPad1 so definately worth it. Speed is phenomenal. Reduce glare on screen alone is worth it. Getting $100 for my 1 on gazel. Perfect size and light as a feather.

15. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

Already have iPad 3 and iPhone 5. Getting it would be a little over-the-top. :apple: But, if I had the money laying around I might get it only because I'm a geek. :cool:

16. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Down for the week 4%. Black Friday better pump it up or a trend is in the making.

17. glen e macrumors 68030

what a crock....

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have lots of latitude. A large percentage of mine was bought from $20 per share on up. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would be worth the price it's at today. Just reminds one of the value of a long term investment strategy.

19. Shan S. macrumors member

I am doing a similar thing.. I have a iPad 3 LTE for my media, major web browsing, using for notes with a stylus while at work, it is my main tablet.

I bought a mini 16g , for mostly book reading, light email checking etc.. The light weight make it more like holding a Kindle ePaper reader like the Kindle touch or Kindle paper white. At night while reading in bed it is nice to have the lighter device. Also I like the wider 4:3 aspect ratio over the screen ratios of the other 7 inch devices.

On the mini I am only putting apps that revolve around reading, books, magazines, some store sites, etc.

20. blair554 macrumors newbie

:D For me, that is.