Reasons to stick with my 6S or buy OnePlus 3T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marty1990, Jan 17, 2017.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I'll assume this will be very biased cos of the forum this is but let's see haha.

I'm on my second iPhone, after a 6 Plus. Nine months in on the 6S but frankly I'm bored. I was Android prior to my 6 Plus - which I bought in 2015 and now considering the 3T, but two things are holding me back; the cost and whether I'd actually miss iOS. I can buy the 3T outright, but then I'll have to finish paying off the 6S as well as having just paid out for the 3T. Or I can buy the 3T, sell the 6S on eBay, those funds would cover the cost of the 3T, then I'd just pay off the iPhone as normal.

Second option being my better option but what does the iPhone 6S have that the 3T doesn't, and can justify me keeping it? Costs aside.

2. Relentless Power, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I can't speak for the 3T. But Apples ecosystem and iOS is one of the main reasons I love my iPhone. I can understand why you feel the 6S is not necessarily for you and or because you are used to Android in the past. But if you like Android and their operating system, then I would suggest maybe heading back that route.

Perhaps use the 3T and then hold on your 6s for a while, if you don't like the 3T or Androids operating software, then you could come back to the 6S. Otherwise you could sell the 6S if you decide to stay with Android.

3. pika2000 macrumors 68040

If you are considering switching platforms just because you're bored, sounds like you are not utilizing any of the advantages of iOS. Just looking at specs, then yes, the 3T is a good buy. I say sell the iPhone before the value drops.

4. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Just try going to the dark side and see how it goes for you. Specs aren't always everything, but maybe it works for you. And if it doesn't, you'll appreciate the fine work Apple did on the iPhone again.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Keep you Apple hardware while going to the dark side so you do not have to repurchase later.

6. acorntoy, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

acorntoy macrumors 65816

Android and IOS are both perfectly capable operating systems now. Awhile back I went to Android after an extremely disappointing experience with the iPhone 5. I just didn't like it. I tried the Htc one m7, the nexus 5, and the oneplus one, all brand new at the time. All were perfectly fast, and worked well, I just didn't like Android. I found myself customizing things not because I wanted to, but because the stock keyboards and browsers and stuff on the phones just didn't work well, so I had to customize it for it to actually work. One thing Android did show me was the benefit of a larger screen, and I didn't really want to go back to Apple until the 6+ came out. There really is something impressive about a phone that works and works simply. IOS is bit more simple, but it works well every time, and that might be what you want in one of your main communications devices.

Do be warned: With each of those Android phones, I had problems with texts being received hours/days later and calls sometimes just not making the phone ring. It usually worked perfectly, but more than a few times this happened. This was on Verizon and T-mobile, and I came to believe it was a major flaw somewhere in Android, this was after a friend years earlier had the same problem with and Android on Sprint. I do not know if Android has fixed this since I have not used it since the 6+ was released, but it was very annoying. I have only experienced this on IOS when you have incredibly low and slow signal, but on Android it happened at any time.

Tl;Dr:

Both IOS and Android are great, and at this point it's strictly personal preference.

7. fotuwe macrumors member

I had the chance to see the 3T by my own (a good friend of mine owns it). Holy moly. This is such a beautiful peace of a smartphone.
    It runs so smooth. Display looks also gorgeous. I am really digging to test it myself now.
    As same as marty I am on a 6s (had the 7 - didnt gave me any advantage so I returned it).

Have to say I am an iOS-only user so far. No Android experience at all.
    So in short word: I was impressed but cant tell you anything based on experience.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I don't get "bored" of my phone, as it's a tool that I simply want to work reliably. They less I have to think about it and "mess around" with it, the better. I have more important things going on in my life.

That being said, you aren't me. Lots of folks like customization and the freedom to control every aspect of their devices and they need to be entertained by their phone's "cool factor."

As others have said, the 3T seems perfectly capable, but perhaps consider holding onto your iPhone in case you regret your decision.

9. winxdon macrumors newbie

I felt the same when the 7 came out so I switched to OnePlus 3 (I was using iPhone 6) and after using it just 2 months I sold it and now using 6s+ and never looked back.

To be fair I have had 5 iPhones and only had a nexus 7 before...long story short, despite how you can customise certain things on android, there are things that you can't change and bothers me, such as those ugly emojis, interface of apps (not all apps look the same on both plantform and I like how they look on iOS) and the stock Chinese keyboard works better on iOS (I downloaded a few on android and they just weren't as good).

OnePlus 3/3T is a great phone for the price but personally I prefer iOS in the end...and no more android for me :)

10. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I was quite reluctant to get the 7 after checking out the OP3T, and had been a very big fan of Android coming from a line of Nexus devices. Everybody keeps talking about how you have to customize **** load of stuff on Android before it's useable which is not really true. It's straight forward and the default apps works well especially with the recent Android Nougat. I do find myself missing some of the convenience Android. The OP3T is an excellent piece of hardware and beautiful price tag to match. I went with iPhone 7 this year simply for the sake of trying something different, and maybe next year I'll switch back to Android. I rely heavily on Google apps and since they work perfectly on both OS I don't feel tied down.

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I don't know much about the 3T, but going from a 6S to a 7 plus was a refreshing change for me.

My brother went from android to iOS a couple years ago, and recently upgraded to 7 plus, too. He said he likes the new android phones, but there's just no way he'd go back.

12. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm typing on my 3T as we speak. I think because I came from Android to iOS, but also owned an Android tablet, the situation was a little different to others.

Have to say though, I love it. Couple of things I miss, 3D Touch, mainly the cursor ability, and a couple of apps; Autodesk Graphic particularly, but I've bought TouchDraw, seems comparable. Hardly used iMessage as prefer WhatsApp, add Facetime? WhatsApp does video calling.

Couple of niggles, audio in WhatsApp is quiet, and I can't disable it saving stuff to my gallery, but everything else... screen, customisation, split screen, size (same screen size as 7+ but smaller overall), AMOLED, gestures - I'm pleased with it. Gonna try Android Pay a bit later, assume it works in pretty much the same places where Apple Pay is. Fingerprint scanner is SO fast.

Kept a hold of the 6S for now, though right now can't see that I'll go back. Only reasons would be for WhatsApp - better optimised on iOS - and the cursor. Games seem to load a little quicker but I hardly ever play them. Oh and Graphic.

Not sure it's worth being double the price though, just for those things.

13. nordique macrumors 65816

I think the 6s is the better device overall, personally love that phone

But fact is you can do more with Android. If you're bored with iOS then make the switch and customize away. Or wait for a jailbreak to iOS unless thats not your thing.

I used to have a one plus device, they are top end devices but the customer support simply isn't there imo. I know they have made strides but if something happens to your phone apple provides the best support in the business.

If that is not a concern for you then get the one plus 3t - android is excellent and if customizing and changing it up is what you're looking for, on 3T is best bang for buck and it compares very nicely with the iphones 6s/7