Reasons to Vote for Democrats - Best Seller

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Mar 9, 2017.

1. tshrimp, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I know this is Fox News, but this best selling author has a great interview explaining the reasons why we should vote Democrat.

Book of blank pages :)

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Oh, what a subtle, exquisite sense of humor...

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Is this what passes for humor in Conservative circles these days? Yes, well, that explains an awful lot.

What puzzles me somewhat is how this book has managed to climb as high as it has on Amazon's list of best-selling books. Paying the best part of $10 for a single, rather flabby joke seems like a rather poor return on your investment. Maybe people are buying them as gag gifts. Somehow appropriate for the sort of empty, worthless promises Republicans keep foisting off on their deluded supporters.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Well, you know what they say about a fool and his money. Kudos to the "author" and publisher.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Flabby joke or personal notebook? You decide.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, it's certainly not a personal notebook. (If it's a joke, then its one that has been told before.)

That would actually require some effort. A little observation, reflection. Research. Maybe a little actual, you know, typing.

Look, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of elements of liberal and Democratic politics that could be the object of ridicule or jest.

But this book doesn't do that. It simply takes one premise: Democrats are bad. But it simply doesn't bother to provide any evidence whatsoever. The reader is supposed to be in on the joke before it's even been told.

A maybe valid criticism that has been leveled at Democratic and liberal people in this country is that we sometimes view our Conservative counterparts with contempt. That we view them as ignorant and gullible. If not to say mendacious and vindictive, bordering on downright evil.

Sorry, but selling books like this one only confirms our belief that that assessment is, in fact, correct.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If this were a democrat publishing the book and it was about republicans it would be heralded as the insight of the century, artistic, and forward thinking. Do I think people should buy this book? No, but it's an excellent troll.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you've defined Donald Trump to perfection.

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

Art of the Deal was number one for a period of time. I prefer blank pages given the choice.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure you'd find someone on twitter claiming that, but not many.

12. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

*slow clap*

Right up there with that gag from Airplane: "How about his leaflet: Famous Jewish Sports Legends?"

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I wonder which sells more - this book or the mug of liberal tears

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Alternate Title:

Facts that back up Trump's claims. On anything.

15. chown33, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

chown33 macrumors 604

16. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Ah yes, the party of fun strikes again with their responses ITT. Oh, I get it! Your humor is so far evolved that this just isn't funny! JFC people. Lighten up and have fun with life.

Bought 2 of these for a couple regressives out here in Seattle. They both thought it was pretty funny.

SAD!

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's very infantile. I suppose it's funny. I do prefer the free web versions.

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I saw that on the news yesterday while visiting my grandma. At first I was like, hmm I wonder what's in there?

Then they showed the blank pages and I was like... Oh hell they are adding fuel to the already heavily burning fire.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

They should have just put a picture of Donald Trump on page 1. That's enough incentive in itself.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, a joke book is one thing. The basic joke being taken and used for Political gains out-of-context - is another. A little wary about the latter, frankly.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It strikes me as gag gift. There's no reason to be upset over it. It's just like the toilet paper with Clinton or Trumps face on it.

I should "write" the same book only change the Democrats to Republicans in the title. Sounds like a solid money making opportunity.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Hasn't that happened?

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

This wasn't an attempt to harm anyone. The book gained traction due to it being pimped out by talk show hosts. Years ago, there was a similar novelette aimed at Republicans. There's been similar books intended to poke fun and men and women, too.

If you can't take an obvious gag as a joke, then I'm not sure what to say.

24. jerwin macrumors 65816

It's a devotional text. Each time Trump embarrasses the country, write it down. By the election, the book will be replete with reasons to vote for the democrats.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It may be this works like a lot of other conservative books. Conservative groups buy them en masse and distribute them as gifts in order to run up the numbers. It takes only about 9,000 sales in the first week to make the NYT Best Seller list. A foundation could easily do this when you consider how many think tank poobahs and party apparatchiks they could give them to.

At any rate, they should do a sequel book called Reasons Not to Vote for Republicans. It'd be an encyclopedic work, going on for at least forty or fifty volumes.