Reasons why the low budget iPhone will be a failure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jul 22, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

The price...It would cost about $400+ for no contract and it's very dumb how it's pretty much like the iPhone 5 but in a plastic casing and another thing is Apple will be releasing an updated iPod touch with 32GB with better camera at $250....What doesn't make any sense is why does T-Mobile's iPhone 5 cost only $150 with no contract but when iPhone 5Plastic comes out...it would cost more than twice the T-mobile iPhone 5...It doesn't make any sense...I think getting a high end new generation iPod Touch would make more sense than getting a plastic iPhone 5 :/
    think about it....It just doesn't make sense

It's better to just get the iPhone 5S at the regular $199 and have the old iPhone 5 as the $99 model. T-Mobile doesn't have contract so....what's the point of making a expensive plastic iPhone 5 ? No parent is gonna pay $400+ for a plastic Phone for their children for Christmas. Way too much when the iPod and iPad mini's are way cheaper than that...Think about it...
    This topic might sound confusing but I am only 16 ...sorry...

2. 617aircav Suspended

Please show me where the tmobile iPhone 5 costs $150. You have no idea what you are talking a out.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LMAO! The T-Mobile iPhone is $150 DOWN. While there is no contract for the phone plan, there is a contract for the phone itself at just over $20/month until the full cost of the phone is paid off. The OP misunderstands.

4. Grmnracing macrumors regular

This is what OP was talking about. However, the statement was wrong.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374537343.680225.jpg

5. 617aircav Suspended

Op why wont the same thing that applies with the iPhone 5 apply to the cheaper iPhone? The budget iPhone could be free on contract.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Good try OP, but we know better. Carriers subsidize phones, and the price is included in your monthly bill. For a $650 iPhone, you've paid for the full value of the phone by the time your contract is up.

T-Mobile plans don't hide the subsidization. You pay a down payment (like you pay for a house or a car) and then pay a monthly fee that goes away after two years unless you trade for a new phone.

There are several reasons for the low cost iPhone all over this forum. First off, developing countries like China don't often have the carrier subsidies, so they have to pay the full $650 or however much they cost there. Paying $400 or however much for a phone is a good deal for them. Second, a low cost iPhone could replace the 4S as the cheap model so that all iPhones will have 4 inch screens and lightening.

As for your statement about the iPod touch, not everyone wants an Internet capable MP3 player that can't call. We're not all teenagers.

Graduate high school and then post again.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You're also forgetting that the $99/$199/$299 model is very US-centric.

Even if we forget about emerging markets like India and China (which make up almost a third of the world's population combined) which would buy a cheaper, off contact phone, even developed countries in some places would, Europe especially.

Here, although lots of people do buy subsidised phones, many do not. The expensive price tag of an iPhone 5 (£529 or $813) for a 16GB model means many people end up buying a £200 Android phone. If Apple could produce a £300 phone, I know that sales would skyrocket.

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

First of all, no one knows what Apple "will be" doing. Making assumptions based on past behavior isn't necessarily a wise course of action when they are about to change the game with a whole new line of phones (allegedly). I am making no assumptions at this point.

Secondly, I don't think that the plastic iPhones are going to be heavily marketed to the post-pay, contract carrier customers. These things are going to be for developing nations, pre-pay networks, etc. If you can get them on contract, they'll probably be either free or at the same price-point as the iPhone 4, which when you think about it is pretty good considering the fact that it's an iPhone 5 with a plastic shell. Still a great phone and now at a substantially reduced cost, on-par with cheaper Windows/Android phones.

Why keep manufacturing the iPhone 5 with expensive materials to sell at a paltry $99 when you can manufacture it much, much cheaper with plastic and bump the profit margin while still selling the same phone? People who buy cell phones at the $99 price point have demonstrated that plastic is not an issue for them, so why not cater to them with a better phone while at the same time making money? If you're going to go retail for a cell phone, a plastic phone that's $200 cheaper might be enticing (have no clue what it will go for retail; just a stab in the dark). iPods and iPad Minis are great but they're not phones; they cater to a different market. That's the great thing about this endeavor: Apple is slowly branching out to cater to a larger customer base.

"Only" 16? You're two years away from legally being an adult, bud.

9. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Since you're 16, you probably don't remember Ballmer talking about the massive failure the iPhone would be due to its high price.

...here we are.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The final cost will play a big part in it. Apple can go a lot lower than they currently are. Their certainly is now where near $450 in additional hardware between the iPod Touch 32GB and the iPhone 5 32GB. They could sell the 5 at $450 and make a nice profit, just not an Apple profit. They sell it for what the market will pay, just like any sensible company would. If they want to sell it for $300 they certainly could, and still make a profit.

I don't think they are going to sell it like they currently do the iPhone 5. I think it will either only be available in emerging markets or only available at unsubsidized.

12. cynics macrumors G3

I don't really see the market for this personally.

They already sell the 4 and 4S at discounted prices so there is you cheap alternative.

Someone could arguing they are trying to cut back fragmentation with a 4" screen and lightning connector. But introducing a budget model doesn't rid the world of 4 and 4S's. All you'd be doing is increasing fragmentation assuming the specs are slightly different then the 5 and 5S.

And what's wrong with the 4S anyway? I think people hate on it because its not new. Many people rumor the budget iPhone having similar specs as the 4S. What sense does that make? An old phone in a brand new crappy plastic shell?

Im not going to deny its existence but I am gonna hate on it until its released. :)

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Without at least hypothesizing its specs, there is no point in discussing.
    Assuming it will carry a good camera, like the iPhone 5's, and will fully support iOS 7, at that price tag it would be very appealing to countries that are not used to subsidizes, such as in Europe.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Did you seriously post that one unannounced device is going to be a failure because you're better off buying another unannounced device?

Whatever it is - I want some.