Reasons why upgrading to the 5 aren't worth the hassle (and reasons why I should).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 20, 2012.


Should I stay with the 4S or keep the 5?

  1. Stay with the 4S, iOS 6 is amazing on it and you only have 12 months left on your contract.

    6 vote(s)
  2. Keep the 5. Bigger screen, LTE, Faster processor is worth the 2 year contract.

    21 vote(s)
  1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

    Jun 5, 2012
    I ended up adding a line on a family account for the iPhone 5 and have a tracking # that it will be here this Friday but I'm locked in a personal debate as to whether I should keep the iPhone 5 that's coming to me this Friday or return it to an ATT store :(

    My PERSONAL reasons against upgrading:

    1) iPhone 4S with iOS 6 is already amazingly fast and capable.

    2) LTE isn't that widespread yet for ATT. By the time LTE is widespread will be when I am due for an upgrade on my account anyways without having to add a line.

    3) Have to go through the hassle of selling my 4S. Craigslist can be pretty frustrating to deal with the idiot hagglers that waste your time.

    4) If I keep my 4S then I only have 12 months left on my contract, after which I can go prepaid and save a good amount of $ per month. If I add a line then it's like I'm starting all over with a 24 month contract again.

    My PERSONAL reasons for upgrading:

    1) I can do this upgrade trick to get the latest iPhone every year without costing me any money (just that I am always locked into a two year contract)

    2) LTE, while not widespread yet, is fast as a mother******! Would be great if I ever needed to set up a tethering plan on my phone.

    3) Bigger screen at 4 inches would be nice to have.

    4) Much better battery life? (to be determined of course) The iPhone 5 gets 8 hours of internet browsing while the 4s only gets 6.

    Any insight as to what choice you would make and why would be great and appreciated :)

    P.S. these are my PERSONAL reasons, don't get all butt hurt about the topic like I'm talking for everyone and start making snide remarks.
  2. leenak macrumors 68020

    Mar 10, 2011
    If I were you, I'd just keep the 4S but then I'm lazy and hate the hassle of selling stuff.
  3. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

    Mar 30, 2010
    My reasoning.

    LTE was the biggest upgrade reason for me (that and I broke my 4s last week) if I didn't have LTE in my area I am not sure if I would have upgraded.

    However, this is the first version of the 5 design series, which means we won't see a new design most likely for the next two years. So you might as well get this one so you’ll be able to upgrade to the iPhone 6.
  4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

    May 30, 2009
    So I assume keeping unlimited isn't an issue for you. I would be worried that this might be the last time AT&T allows upgrades for unlimited data users.
  5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040


    Jun 27, 2010
    Plano, TX
    1) Now that your two lines will be staggered, you will be eligible for each upgrade. That's assuming that :apple: keeps up the current cycle. I would think that they will.

    2) It seems like AT&T is getting LTE to a lot more places, pretty quickly. Seems like a logical point to me.

    3) The screen, as well as all of the other upgrades will be very nice to have.

    If I was in your position, with the phone already being shipped I would keep it unless money is a factor. However, since you already ordered and paid for it, I assume it's not a deciding factor.

    Just my opinion, hope it helps some. :)
  6. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 5, 2012
    I wonder about that too since I hate having to deal with hagglers on craigslist :mad:

    Yeah, I checked the Att map coverage for LTE and it says it's in my area but you never know how truthful those maps are.

    I have thought about that too. How the 3G and 4 and 5 were big upgrades, and how the 3Gs, 4s, and soon to be 5s will be spec bumps. It makes me want to get on the right side of the upgrade cycle but I am torn as to if I really should be upgrading or simply riding out my current 4s contract.
  7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

    May 1, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    If you're even questioning it then I don't think you should upgrade.
    Why buy a phone you don't want?
  8. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 5, 2012
    Every purchase we make is a decision of "do I need it?" vs " I must have it"

    Some are bigger decisions than others. Especially when it comes to $650 electronics.

    It's not that that I don't want the iPhonr 5 (of course I do), just that it's a decision that I am wrestling with if it's worth it or not. Which is why I asked the question by posting this thread so I can get input from others on what they would go with.
  9. greytmom macrumors 68040


    Jun 23, 2010
    You are the only person who can decide if it is worth it to you.

    For me, I upgraded and can't wait to receive.
  10. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 5, 2012
    Oh yeah, of course it is me that is going to decide... but I would like some feedback from fellow forum members :)

    That's why I posted the question here in macrumors, to see what others think and perhaps sway me with a bit of knowledge I am not thinking about already.

Share This Page