Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onealc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
As a previous mac user, and now switched back to mac guy, I remember in the old days, it was a good idea to "rebuild your desktop" every so often on Mac system 7, etc.

Do I still need to do that now with 10.3.2? If so, how do I do that?

THANKS!

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Clearing the caches is the same thing as rebuilding the desktop database in OS9.
Xupport is a utility that can simplify the task.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Re: Rebuilding the desktop in 10.3.2 necessary?

Originally posted by onealc
As a previous mac user, and now switched back to mac guy, I remember in the old days, it was a good idea to "rebuild your desktop" every so often on Mac system 7, etc.

This shouldn't be necessary with OS X. Even though both operating systems say "Mac" on them, there's very little (actually, pretty much nothing) under the hood that's the same.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by virividox
in addition to clearing the cache, u might want to do a permissions repair, its under the disk utility thats found in the utilies folder in the applications folder

All that I found in the Disk Utility was Disk First Aid or is that the same?

Where do I find Xupport?

How often should these be done?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Xupport can be found here

It's a little app which executes a couple of system management commands. Much more handy than doing all those terminal commands manually.

I do this kind of maintenance every month or so. Especially after a Mac OS 10.X.x update.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Thank you MacsRgr8, I've just downloaded the program and put it in my Version Tracker Watch List.

I'm still not sure where to find the program to clear cache, how often should this be done?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Here is a little util that can help you clear the caches.
I don't do this very often. Usually if apps like Safari start behaving strangely (Safari can do this by itself though).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Clearing the cache(s) manually?

Does someone have documentation regarding this? I have a hard time believing that any OS, or any non-alpha-version of a program, wouldn't do this automatically. Plus Unix-type programs generally have a daemon that cleans up things like the /tmp directory based on file/directory age.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Re: Clearing the cache(s) manually?

Originally posted by Westside guy
I have a hard time believing that any OS, or any non-alpha-version of a program, wouldn't do this automatically. Plus Unix-type programs generally have a daemon that cleans up things like the /tmp directory based on file/directory age.

The cron maintenance tasks run automatically, but at between 3 and 5 am, and only if your Mac is awake. Check out Cronnix, a simple GUI to terminal commands, and change the timings to suit when your Mac is definitely going to be awake. I have the tasks set for 10pm. Much more convenient than MacJanitor, Cocktail, Onyx.....

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
or you could just leave your mac up 24 hours a day, and let it do it's job. i have mine set to "display sleep" after a couple of hours, but the system itself never sleeps, so all of the scripts run, it keeps my 400mhz iMac running very smoothly.

paul

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Here is a little util that can help you clear the caches.
I don't do this very often. Usually if apps like Safari start behaving strangely (Safari can do this by itself though).

Your link seems to be broken.

paulwhannel, so you are saying that the Mac itself will in the active mode 24/7? Is there any damage to the CPU itself by running constantly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.