Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I just got done rebuilding my iMac (Late 2007) and after the Time Machine restore, I opened up Mail and it said it had to re-index all my mail messages. I clicked OK and now when I got into mail, I see all the subject lines for all my mail but when I open each one, it is blank. I then look at the email online with my ISP's mail program and the whole message is there. I looks like a message "placeholder" is on my computer but the content is still on the server.

Is there a way (easy) to get Mail to re-download all the mail messages from the server to my computer?

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Where do I do this in Mail? I have not set up an account in there in about 7 years and I don't remember where to go.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The menu Mail>Preferences>Accounts. Before you delete the account, under "Account Information", go to the popup menu "Outgoing Mail Server" and select "Edit SMTP Server list". Delete all the servers listed (by selecting and clicking the minus sign). These often cause issues if left there. The correct server will be replaced when you re-add the account.

Now delete and re-add the account. I advise that you begin using Time Warner's IMAP settings on all your devices so that the server's contents syncs with every device you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.