Rebuilt my iMac now most of my email is gone HELP!!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Mikebike125, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I just got done rebuilding my iMac (Late 2007) and after the Time Machine restore, I opened up Mail and it said it had to re-index all my mail messages. I clicked OK and now when I got into mail, I see all the subject lines for all my mail but when I open each one, it is blank. I then look at the email online with my ISP's mail program and the whole message is there. I looks like a message "placeholder" is on my computer but the content is still on the server.

Is there a way (easy) to get Mail to re-download all the mail messages from the server to my computer?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Who is your email provider and by what method (Exchange, IMAP, or POP) is the account set up?

3. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Time Warner Cable. I am not sure which method but POP sounds familiar.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Sounds like you might need to try deleting, then re-adding, the account in Mail. If the server sees it as a new device then your email should download.

5. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Where do I do this in Mail? I have not set up an account in there in about 7 years and I don't remember where to go.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The menu Mail>Preferences>Accounts. Before you delete the account, under "Account Information", go to the popup menu "Outgoing Mail Server" and select "Edit SMTP Server list". Delete all the servers listed (by selecting and clicking the minus sign). These often cause issues if left there. The correct server will be replaced when you re-add the account.

Now delete and re-add the account. I advise that you begin using Time Warner's IMAP settings on all your devices so that the server's contents syncs with every device you have.