Recall would cost Apple 1.5 billion dollars, why not free bumpers or 2011 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

Its going to cost Apple about 1.5 billion dollars according to a research analyst. But giving away a free bumper would only cost Apple about $1 each.

Or how about allowing current iPhone 4 users to upgrade to the new iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4GS, or whatever its going to be called....) next year at the upgrade price? It would be a win-win for everyone. Apple would make money by selling iPhone 5's to customers who wouldn't buy it at the time because of upgrade ineligibility, and AT&T would retain customers who otherwise would go to Verizon/Sprint for an Android phone.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20010443-260.html

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

What is this recurring obsession with "free bumpers" around here?

If someone bought an iPhone4 for $199+, pays AT&T $100/month and they aren't using a case, it's not because they can't afford a case. All that happens if Apple gives away "free bumpers" is that people scream about how Apple has not only admitted that there is a hardware problem by giving them a "free bumper", but that Apple thinks no more of their customers than to give them a crappy $1 case to get them to shut-up.

3. bigroot macrumors newbie

4. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Screw free bumpers...that is not a solution. As the other person said above...its not like people can't afford a $29 bumper to fix the problem.

I don't like the bumper, it adds bulk to the phone and it does not work with the iPhone dock so it's a 100% no solution for me.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You recall a defective product. You don't recall a crappy design, you just make another one that is designed better.

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I still think no recall. What I think will happen is Apple will acknowledge the problem, send emails to all purchasers telling them they have until X date to return with no penalty. After that date they're on their own.

Much easier than a recall and it takes care of the problem in a way.

Apple will basically be saying: Don't like it? Return it! Otherwise quit yer bitchin'! :p

7. Devnor macrumors member

People ought to calm down. The phone came out 2 weeks ago. A fix is coming.