Receive 5S or 5C as a gift?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alphaod, Sep 16, 2013.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay, let's say you want a white iPhone (or whatever color you like).

If someone were to buy you a present, would you prefer a white iPhone 5C or a black/gray iPhone 5S? (basically the 5C is the color you want whereas 5S is not the color you want)

All other things being equal (same capacity, no cost to you being a gift, etc.)

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

5S for sure.

Not even a real debate IMO as we are talking about two different generations (5c = 2012 and 5s = 2013) of products. Screw what color it is give me the best version all day :D

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Definitely the 5S. If the color were really that important to me, I'd just get a case that color.

5. nilzi macrumors regular

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

So I take it all of you are basing this on specs alone?

No one cares for fun colors?

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The specs, and also I prefer the 5S space gray design over the louder 5C colors.

8. cube macrumors G5

The main thing is that is it unlocked.

A simlocked gift is a drag.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It only matters if you care about the colors.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

"Fun colors" only go so far! The 5S is more serious hardware!:rolleyes:

11. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I think my friend will be happy then. I'll add a red leather sleeve to spice it up a bit.

SIM lock is definitely a drag. I would never buy someone a locked phone which is why I never understood the iPhone gift card Apple sells.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Go for the 5S with the updated specs and get a case.

13. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I'd have to go for the 5S. I'm wanting a white and for this reason (and not liking the cheap appearance of the 5C) I wouldn't get the 5C. I want a white iPhone, not a black one with a white rear case.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The colored phones is a really weird decision IMO. I know I am in the minority and use my phone "naked", but since most use cases they can make their phone whatever color they want...

15. in4fun macrumors regular

The answer should be obvious - 5 C

5s still has the old look from last years phone and more importantly it doesn't have the color you want

5c is a fresh phone that has a new form factor and has exactly the color you want. Plus the hard plastic back should also be more scratch-resistant.

I say go with your gut feeling and don't listen to dudes who need everything in black & metal to compensate for low self esteem.

You want to get a gift. Imagine your special someone opening your gift:
    a) ohh, looks like last years phone but with much more power (5s)
    b) wow, a brand new looking phone but only few micro spec-updates (5c)

Performance wise I bet the average user won't notice any difference.
    If snapshots are important to you the 5s has an improved lens and will therefore most likely produce better shots.

The bigger issue here are privacy and security flaws which already prompted government officials to warn potential buyers not to trade their biometric data (aka fingerprints) simply for comfort. Unlike a password your biometric data can't be changed. No one can claim that your data will be 100% secure - because there is no such thing. For me this was the No.1 reason not to buy the 5s (next to it's somewhat outdated appearance).

Apple is all about great design not spec sheets - so currently I don't know a better iPhone than the 5 C.

16. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

^ Is this post serious?

iPhone 5c stands for Cheap.

5c)Oh honey, look I bought you the cheap discount phone model.
    vs.
    5s)Oh honey, look I bought you the nice top of the line model.

5c is just last years model in a cheaper plastic case.

17. in4fun macrumors regular

Everyones entitled to their own opinion.

Since everyone is shouting 5s in here I just wanted to present a different point of view for the OP.

As a designer by trade I value good design. If the 5c would be $299 prepaid I'd still say it looks superior to the 5s, which is imho a total design failure only saved by an apple logo.
    Apple was built on great design and if they don't get their act together soon I see no reason to remain loyal to a company that simply tries to survive on the legacy of a dead man.
    It's true that the 5c is not the most beautiful phone ever built but I would buy it over a 5s any day. If you like the 5s better then I hope you'll be happy with it.
    What I want to get across here is that people should stick to their own initial feelings. Anytime someone asks about the 5c in here there are already 10 people waiting in line to shout "idiot - go get the 5s!".

I simply disagree that's all.

18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You are a designer that advocates a thicker phone over a thinner one & plastic over metal.... still can't tell if you are trolling or not. If anything I'd think a good designer would be praising the finger print scanner or the better camera flash. Maybe there is a reason you are not a designer at apple. All they did was take last years model (iPhone 5) and shove it into a cheaper to produce plastic shell.

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Buy a case for the 5S. There, color.

Am over 30, no more fun, classy finish is what we geezers are after. ^)