Received a call back for the feedback I left about my Apple store experience.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JoshGlzBrk, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So I originally pre-ordered a black iPhone 5. Received it on launch day, and like many other people, my phone came with scuffs and scratches along the antenna band and bezel.

So I called Apple Care on Sunday and had them send me a new one (express replacement so they held the full price on my card along with the shipping charge which I had waived a few days later).

Received the replacement unit on Tuesday and it had even worse damage. So then I went into the Apple store for my genius bar appointment. The genius that helped me told me that he would be glad to get a replacement unit for me but he would not be willing to go through the entire store's stock to find one that was not damaged.

Originally he was only going to open one, but upon opening it and looking it over he nervously said he was going to set that one aside and got out another. This one too had damage right out of the box. At this point the manager came over and with him standing by, the genius said I would have to choose between these two damaged iPhones, or the two damaged ones that I brought with me.

This just seemed so ridiculous I almost laughed in their faces. I told both of them that I was not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone that came pre-damaged, and just asked for a full refund.

Left some feedback online with the link I got with my refund receipt email, pretty much detailing my experience with all of this, and the "geniuses" telling me that I had to accept a phone that they knew was clearly damaged right out of the box. And I received this voicemail from an Apple employee pretty much saying that she is calling because of the feedback I left, and that I should call and ask for a manager and let them know I have feedback for them, and that they would like to help me get a phone that is going to "satisfy what I'm looking for".

Voicemail: https://www.box.com/s/dxqxy8u99i1r5g3bgd4t (edited for personal info)

Should I call back and see what they can do for me? I really do want an iPhone 5, and I'm thinking of going for a white one if I can get a reservation online. But seeing as how they are out of stock I'm not sure what calling the store up and speaking to the manager will do for me if they have none.

2. PBz macrumors 6502a

If you want a 5 & they want to help you... I would call.

3. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I'd call, there is just no reason not to, you had a bad experience, see if they try to make amends, if not, go to corporate and ream the store, and make sure they understand you can't do that to people.

4. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Im just gonna call and pretend I am you! Might wanna take that message down and just type the jist of it........

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would like to see some pics of those predamaged and scuffed up iphones.
    Its weird how some stores only have those available and how did so many get damaged and made it all the way to the customer and to stores like that.
    I never remember before any iphone arrive predamaged or scratched from the factory. And seems like there's many complains about this issue. Where's the quality controll that Apple was well known for years about. How are they making customers accept a damaged or physically or cosmetically faulty device?

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would call them back. Maybe they set one aside for you?

This seems to be odd occurrence. When do you find an electronic from any manufacture damaged? A scratch is a scratch. That means that it's not new. I remembered showing my friends my refurbish MBP. Not a single scratch on it. I was expecting a scratch on a refurb but not something new.

I bet someone has been tampering with the stock, before it was put into the box. Call them, it can't hurt.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Where have you been? People have been posting those pics left and right.

Yep, I've had every iPhone since 2007 and never came across a predamaged iPhone until my mother's iP5 arrived with obvious nicks/scuffs (in three places) out of the box. My own iP5 has flawless metal housing though. It's a bit disappointing how these have managed to slip past QC.

8. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Must be related to Surfer17 ;) but if you think about it with all the employee problems at Foxconn, what better way to stick it to the higher ups by letting damaged units slip through and have Apple come down on the higher ups! I'm sure this will get their attention.

9. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Same here except since the 3GS. This really was my first bad experience with iPhones coming with defects.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I saw some pics posted but there were so dark or maybe not upclose enough I couldnt see anything.
    But I dont doubt it, just wonder how small or big the nicks are.

11. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're definitely not microscopic like a tiny speck of dust or a single stuck subpixel, nor subjective or difficult to catch through QC like yellow screens (the kind of stuff that anal-retentive people obsess over). The nicks are rather obvious even from arm's distance.

My guess is factory workers couldn't care less under a time gun or something, but Apple will have to fix the QC issues.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

HRm, what's the worst calling can get you? No phone.

What's the best it can get you? An iphone 5 that you are happy with.

What's the worst not calling can get you? No Phone

What's the best not calling can get you? No Phone.

Hrm, seems like you have absolutely nothing to lose by at least calling and finding out what they can do for you. You can't do worse than not calling and you certainly can do far better if you do call.

13. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

They have no control over quality, but they can try their best.

Worth a shot to see what they have to offer.

Maybe you'll get a lightning cable as well.

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Call, you have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

15. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

1) Based on the pictures I've seen, something is clearly wrong with the manufacturing process somewhere.

2) It's not ok. Apple charges a premium for these phones. Whatever the flaws, it is incumbent on Apple to fix.

3) You should not settle. The only way Apple (or any other company) learns from its mistakes is when consumers of the company's products tell them when they fall short and insist on performance.

Regarding point #2, how is the iPhone 5 materially different from the new iPod touch? All I know of is the cellular radio. Is that worth a $300+ premium? It is because we'll keep buying them. If Apple wants us to keep paying these premiums they need to make things right with their manufacturing, and that starts with consumers insisting on a fair trade for their hard earned money. IMHO damaged equipment out of the box is not fair trade. They're reaching out to make it right, I say stay engaged.

FWIW: My slate 32 is flawless. I wouldn't have settled for what you described.

16. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

Yes, call them back and you will get an iphone soon enough. Even though Iphone is hard to come by now, there are still shipment to the store everyday. A store manager can certainly get you one in the exceptional basis given that they want to correct a previous mistake.. You may have to wait a day or two until the next shipment come. But you are pretty much guarantee the next Iphone model of you choice that come into that store..

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Definitely call and see what they can do. You could always leave more bad feedback. :D

18. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I certainly think you should call. Even if you don't want the phone anymore, it gives you the chance to make your points but also allows them the chance to apologise.

What have you got to lose? Certainly have a lot to gain if they're treating your complaint so seriously. They can't call everyone who complains, so clearly your comments have struck a nerve!

19. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

Call back, you may help weed out bad customer service staff and help others.

20. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

My take is that you left your feedback for them, hoping they will improve from your experience and now they are taking actions to rectify it for you. Give them a chance I say.

21. OSMac macrumors 65816

Interesting the VM says to ask for any manager but you noted a manager was involved with your last store visit. Did that manager make a mistake in limiting the number of boxes they would open?

My concern is its clear you want a unblemished iPhone out of the box.

Nothing wrong with that, but if the black ones scar so easily that even brand new ones have marks, how long can you expect to keep a new one that way?

Maybe a white one would be a better choice or if your going to use a case consider if covered marks really matter?

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There are absolutely quality control issues with the initial batch of 5s. My black 5 doesn't have scratches but it has a loose battery so it moves around every time I pick it up.

I would call them back and give them another chance. Good luck.

23. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

24. darster Suspended

Apple doesnt charge a higher price than any other phone maker. A samsung GS3 costs the same. A motorola Razr MAXX costs the same, and many others cost the same, whether contract price or full price. All those others also have production flaws from cracked plastic backs, to dead pixels, bad headphone jacks and so on. Now try going to a samsung or motorola, or htc store for a replacement. Oh yea, they dont exist. You have to either get a replacement through your provider, or places like BB, RS, etc. I'm not saying not to return your phone if you are not happy, because you should, but just remember those apple premium prices are not any different than the other vendors, but at least you know you can find an actual store for customer service.

25. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Call them back, get your phone and ask for free AppleCare+.