Received a call from a contact, picked it up and it wasn't from that contact

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ben Kei, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

Just had something strange happen. My phone went and said it was my brother calling, when I answered it was someone trying to deliver pizzas and apparently couldn't find my address. I figured my brother was out and left his phone unlocked and one of his mates was trying to prank call me because it was apparently 20 pizzas they were trying to deliver.

They got more and more irate with me as I told them they weren't being funny and to hand the phone back to my brother. When they started shouting and swearing at me I told them to f**k off and hung up on them.

I then text my brother to ask him which one of his idiot friends had got hold of his phone and was prank calling, he replied telling me he was at home with his phone next to him on the table!

so what's happening here? Has someone somehow cloned his phone? Or is my phone somehow attributing random incoming calls to saved contacts?

If anyone else has had this, or knows what's going on please let me know!

iPhone 6s, fully up to date iOS

Cheers

2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Not sure if this will apply. But I can make phone calls right now from my iPhone's phone number - using my Mac - desktop or Macbook. As long as I have Wi-Fi enabled on my phone and I'm on the same network as my Mac I don't need my phone to make phone calls. Can call people who are not even iPhone users etc.

So, just saying if he has room mates etc - it 'could' be a prank - and he wouldn't even know about it except it would show up in his call history on his phone as an outgoing call.

3. xoAnna macrumors member

Number spoofing?

4. LoliS macrumors regular

Sounds like someone spoofed your brother's number. Research Caller ID spoofing.

5. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul