Received a retail store demo iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blkonblk17, Nov 14, 2011.

1. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

So I went to the apple store today regarding my iPhone 4s which I originally purchased subsidized for $299 (32GB) had a problem where it was over heating. They were able to replicate the problem and decided to replace the phone. They didn't have any certified or refurbished phones so they agreed to give me a brand new phone sealed in the box. I opened it there at the apple store and removed the SIM card it came with and put the sim card that originally came with my iPhone 4s. When I sync the phone to my computer it tells me to input the password for (retaildemo@yahoo.com) I can hit cancel and just proceed. Just wondering if this is normal.. Also, I still have the SIM card that came in the new iPhone 4s I received today. What do I do with this SIM, Is it usable, will it activate another line etc..

[​IMG]

Also, I see this 1 notification in settings telling me there is an update to 5.0.1 has anyone seen this. I recall when I turned my phone in today which was still on 5.0 never indicated there was an update pending.

[​IMG]

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Wow that seems sketchy. Try doing a full restore and setting it up as a new phone.

3. hollowplayer macrumors regular

if its sealed brand new, i think you are bluffing. Apple demo units dont use yahoo domain for appstore login.

4. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why I would be bluffing would be beyond me lol, I can assure you it was sealed and I opened it there at the store. Not sure why it's happening but whatever doesn't bother me and thought I'd share..

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Take it back and exchange it. It'll have custom firmware on it that makes it useless to an end user.

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

One would think they would use an @me.com address and not yahoo.. But whatever.

Please note OP I am not calling you a lier by any means. I wouldn't bother taking it back or anything. Just a full restore would probably remove anything like that.

8. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

It isn't Apple Retail for sure. However, I've seen a couple of Best Buy's use Yahoo addresses for their logins.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

It must bother you or you wouldn't of taken the time to come here and make a thread about it. Also, are you that silly to believe that people don't make things up on the interwebs? Come on now.... If that's the case I have some nice ocean front property to show you, going cheap!

10. Andrew.s macrumors regular

Andrew.s

Maybe that's a demo email from the manufacturing process? We all remember the pictures they were taking of themselves and left on a phone.

11. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

no one answered about 5.0.1. yes thats normal. its the OTA update process.

13. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Apple demos are only 16gb.

If it is a 32 gig phone, then it's not a demo. Weird things happen when you swap SIMM cards without doing a restore.

14. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, because I never logged in since I don't have the password

----------

Thanks, I didn't know that

----------

I think that's most likely it. What about the sim card that the new replacement phone brought? If I use that will it be associated to my account? I didn't try powering on the phone with it just in case so I just swapped my pre existing sim card before powering on the phone

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

OP when i got my 4s, i used the backup from iCloud. About half way through the restore i got the same screen you saw there with my id and i put in my password. Then about 1 min later i got that screen popped up again, however this time it was my buddy's email address (he's never even touched my phone) so i just hit cancel and went on with the restore.

The genius that was working with me had no idea why this was happening.

Last night my fiance and i went to the apple store to replace her's as she dropped it in the water. When we went to restore it from iCloud, it happened to her too. She signed into her account, then the prompt came up about 2 or 3 more times all with email addresses out of her contacts.

We just kept hitting cancel and went on with the restore.

So not sure why you got the email you did, but i think my situation was somewhat similar to yours.

16. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with you, come to think of it I was also doing a restore from the cloud. That's strange as to why it would pick that email address or any email address from contacts for that matter. Hmm, not sure. Like you, I hit cancel until it went away and now it's all good. Thanks

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

I had that issue too. The iCloud restore was trying to restore iTunes purchased music to my phone that I have in my library but was purchased using someone else's Apple ID. My Mac was authorized to play music from those accounts, but the iPhone I was restoring to had never been hooked to that computer, so I'm guessing it wasn't authorized to play music from those folks accounts.

18. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm interesting, I think this is exactly what happend.

19. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

I got this too, it has to do with music you put on your phone. If you downloaded music that was from someone elses email, it knows and asks for the password of the song owner. its trying to download the songs right from itunes before you actually sync your phone with computer.

20. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it, Thanks for everyone for clearing that up. Also, what can I do with that SIM card the new phone brought? Keep it I would assume but if I use it will it associate it to my account or add a new line or something like that?

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

Apple stores probably have shrink wrap machines. The folks at the store probably lied to you and just wrapped up a returned phone and called it new.

22. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol interesting thought... but I can assure it was new. I'm not going to get into the whole thing I just know :D

23. salacious macrumors 6502a

U have an iPhone 4s and claim not to know about 5.01 update? Which was blatantly announced on this website? Ur either a troll, blind or a troll, admit it you just posted up something because you were bored...

24. uncleho macrumors newbie

The truth

The person is telling the truth. I uploaded one of the songs from an Apple Store Demo Mac. The email in the song is retaildemo@yahoo.com. Perhaps they made the iTunes account before they started MobileMe?