Received cancelled AT&T IPhone 5 order!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aka777, Oct 24, 2012.

1. aka777, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

aka777 macrumors 6502a

I placed a new order (new account) with AT&T a few weeks back. Soon after, I cancelled the order, as I decided to go with Verizon. Unfortunately, I have received the cancelled AT&T IPhone order and was wondering if anyone knew what my options are:

1. Can I simply return it unopened to AT&T?
    2. Can I activate the handset, cancel the service and pay the fee?
    3. Would I be able to just pay full price for it to AT&T, without activation?

Any ideas or anyone who has had a similar situation. Which could also included ordering the handset and then deciding not to activate the service.

2. darster Suspended

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

It may be tempting to keep it, but I would call and ask AT&T. The last thing you want is to have a $700 charge show up on your credit card, or maybe you do.

4. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm not expecting to keep it for free. It looks like the order went through, even though I sat there with AT&T for 30 minutes getting it cancelled.

The question really is, what happens if I do not activate it? I am sure they will charge me the full cost of the handset.

In addition, if I enter my details into the handset and get past the activation screen, does this automatically activate the new AT&T account?

BTW. I have no current service with AT&T.

5. darster Suspended

Most likely they will charge you the subsidy price, activate that line and lock you to a 2 year contract if you do nothing.

6. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is precisely why I left these incompetent b-----ds.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You really are just better calling AT&T and seeing what they want from you if you truly want to keep it.

8. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

9. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to do the right thing, I just don't want to deal with AT&T.

I have the phone, so would purchasing it outright, without a service, be an option?

10. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

I wish I would have had the same luck as some of you. I don't see why everyone on here is so soft. Keep it until they say something to you. ITS A MULTI BILLION dollar company people!! They screw us over all the time. Don't feel bad for them losing phones to us.

11. ssspinball macrumors 6502

You can't be "locked" to a 2-year contract that you DIDN'T AGREE TO and/or CANCELLED. Seriously, people. Think for a second!

12. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Just return it into a Cor store. You will not be charged a restock fee and all will be fine. You did nothing wrong...

13. darster Suspended

If you signed for the phone on delivery, you just signed a contract, or you pay full price and have no contract. No other choices. That's if you don't return it.

14. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Keep it, if you see a $700 charge call them and tell them you want to return it. Best of both worlds.
    Sometimes if they're feeling nice they will just let you keep it.

15. ZipZap, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

ZipZap macrumors 601

Here is what I did. I had my sept 14th 5AM order cancelled by ATT due to a system problem. After about 1.5 weeks I was able to get my upgrade through the 10PM ordering for in store pick up.

A week after getting my phone I noticed a new charge on my card from ATT and called them as I thought it was a mistake.

Sure enough, the reactivated a cancelled order and shipped me another Black 64GB iphone at the discount price.

While on the phone with the rep trying to clear this up, he indicated that the SIM in the just shipped phone was clear and would not automatically activate on my account.

I asked if I could just sell it and he said YUP!

Since your phone was new, activating it will start your account (if not already started). You cannot avoid this except by returning the phone.

They may be able to change you to a full price phone but why do it?

In your case you may also be able to dispute the charge but you'd have to indicate you did not receive the phone and that might not go well. I don't know the law regarding delivery of items not requested. Since you have proof of the cancellation...you may be able to just dispute the charge.

16. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Wrong.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Wow.... a thread like this and your not asking will att later charge you? Your actually asking how you can pay for it and keep it? WOW!! You sir win a gold star.

Take it in and ask them what you should do.

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm sorry, but I believe you are incorrect. By signing for the package, you are only signing stating you received said package. UPS/USPS, FEDEX do not have the ability to deal with contracts for Verizon/AT&T.

You're only signing stating you've received the package from the shipping company.

19. darster Suspended

That is true, but AT&T or Verizon will not send you a phone if you didn't already agree to a contract or paying full price. The OP said he did sign up, and then cancelled and then got the phone. Obviously his cancellation didn't go through, and in the eyes of AT&T, he was sent a contract phone.

20. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will give them a call and see what they say.

The only reason I am willing to pay for it outright, is because I saw the great prices they're fetching on ebay.

AT&T just made my decision on which carrier to pick much easier - not them.

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

Like me, I'll bet he has a cancellation email.