Received interesting letter from AT&T for using 20+ GB / month of data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snide, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

A friend recently received the following letter from AT&T. I jailbroke his iPhone months ago so he could tether his MacBook at home, and cautioned him not to get carried away with his data usage, as AT&T might notice if he went hog-wild. Needless to say, he has been streaming Netflix every night ever since, which resulted in this rather cordial letter from AT&T. I took a photo of the letter (no scanner handy) and am including the un-cropped and cropped versions. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

A lot of people who are considered "heavy users" get these.
    It's not a warning letter, just a reminder that AT&T has a lot of free hotspots available and they suggest you may want to try and use those when possible.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I generally consider a "warning" to contain some sort of "do this or we'll do that" kind of statement.

This is more like a 'feature reminder' letter.

Does at&t have ulterior motives here? Sure, they'd like him to use Wifi more often. But that's not really the same thing as a warning.

4. macsrcool1234, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Your friend deserves to have his contract terminated and should be charged separately for the data he used.

Seriously, people. If you're going to tether without paying, don't ****ing use it as a home internet connection and download multimedia files from it.

Tell your cheapass friend to get a job and buy a real connection.

This is what happens when you make jailbreaking so easy. Every moron in the world can jailbreak their phone (or another persons) and tether recklessly, ruining the network for the rest of us.

5. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Not a warning
    thanks for re sparking the stupid 5gb cap debate though real helpful

Why are you so angry over this? His friend is not affecting you in any way by doing this.

6. nate1220 macrumors member

7. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

It's people like his friend that result in the loss of unlimited data and higher prices for the rest of us.

8. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Sorry buddy that's not how that works
    AT&T said right in the letter that he uses more than 99.9% of the other customers
    do you really think .01% of people can really make that much of a difference to the network overall? Stop being brainwashed and use your head

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Not other than doing his part to drive up costs which AT&T is happy to pass on to everyone else. ;)

I'll bet the top 1% use what the other 99% do.

10. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

AT&T has about 90 million customers. .01 of 90 million is 900,000. That means there 900,000 people using more than 50 GB of data a month. That is a LOT for a mobile operator.

It's not a secret that the top few customers use an extraordinary amount of bandwidth in any ISP (250,000 people use 90% of Comcast's total bandwidth for example.

The next time you post something so stupid, please take your own advice and use your head.

Exactly. Unfortunately Looon has absolutely no idea what he's talking about

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would consider it a warning. I would not be surpised if they start looking at the tower data, and when it is being pulled. It is not hard for them to start detecting tethering and in that case they will crack down hard.

I think ATT should take a note out of T-Mobiles book. After a certain point on the unlimit people lock them out of 3G and force them to use EDGE and be trapped at EDGE speeds. Nothing in the contract says they can not do that.

If they leave AT&T will just say do not let the door hit you on the way out. They are costing AT&T money.

12. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Yes, they can.

Each cell can accommodate only a certain amount of bandwidth at once. He's hogging a huge amount of it. Because of him, people around him probably are getting misconnected calls and slow webpages -- he is using 10 to 100 times as much as the people around him.

Unlimited data is stupid, because most of us pay more to subsidize people like that. We should be paying by the MB just like we pay by the kWh for electricity or the gallon for water; let the extremely heavy users pay their own way.

13. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

AT&T will charge the same regardless
    look at texting costs versus how much it actually costs them.

14. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Dude before tell someone to use their head, learn some math. It is not 1% of users of heavy usage, it is .1 %. That would be .001 not .01, therefore, the number would come down to 90,000.......not really as bad as the 900,000 you originally posted.

15. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Not sure. But there's a definite trend here. If you notice, this post • Here • shows a user to have received a letter with a 2GB figure, and a 98% of fellow users who don't exceed it.

The letter in this current thread states figures of 20GB and 99.9% of fellow users who don't exceed it. Interesting.

Trend is the key word here, me thinks.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And here I came in expecting an interesting letter.

17. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

Lmao

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

Some of you guys are are seemingly trying to correct the OP by stating that it's not a "warning" letter. But the OP never said anywhere in his post that he considered it a warning letter. He merely said it was interesting. But thanks for the correction anyway?

19. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Thanks, good call. I knew something didn't seem right as I wrote that. But it absolutely does not change the point in my original post at all. 90k people using 50 or more GB on a mobile network is a lot of traffic.

20. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

+1

Probably somebody took his jahb...lol

21. thetexan macrumors 6502a

If AT&T were smart they'd institute packet sniffing to determine what kind of traffic is being used on these heavy consumers and kick them off their network for tethering. It'd be a breeze to check the user agent of a browser, or to determine if those packets are torrent or Xbox live packets.

22. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Not if he has unlimited data. It says unlimited, he paid for it. Nothing wrong with it at all.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not true.
    Tethering is not permitted on the iPhone unlimited data plan.
    If AT&T were to determine that the user was in fact tethering, they would have every right to charge the user for the data usage at Laptop Connect rates or simply terminate the contract.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

more so they can back charge him back to when he started plus all the overage charges then terminate his contract.