Receiving calls from "No Caller ID". Any way to find out the # or block it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zooby, Oct 1, 2013.

1. zooby, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Nope. Can't do it without a caller ID, sorry :(

3. emseven macrumors regular

I always put my numbers on https://www.donotcall.gov but it is currently unavailable due to government shutdown.

Verizon is very quick to sell new numbers.

4. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

I just press the silver button on the top of the phone and go back to whatever I was doing.

5. zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

I heard that putting your number on donotcall.gov was a scam... no?

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Not a scam at all. It worked very well for many years, before the advent of robo-dialers. I shudder to remember the amount of junk calls that I got before the DNC list was implemented.

7. emseven macrumors regular

No, it's a legit government site voted into law and paid for by tax dollars.

My new Verizon number went from five a day to zero in less than a week.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have never used it, but trapcall.com offers that service. You forward your unknown calls to them, and they forward them back with the real number. It works because they have a toll free number which gives them more billing information about the number calling.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

As emseven mentioned, it's a legit site. It'd be rather difficult for a scammer to obtain a .gov domain.

With that said, just because you're on the registry doesn't mean telemarketers all pay attention to it. Worst culprits seem to be local companies robocalling; tree services, etc. Also plenty of donation solicitations, they (and politicians) are of course exempted.

10. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between

No Caller ID

and

Withheld

Get a lot of hang ups with No Caller ID, and Withheld are more likely to have someone on the other end?

11. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

"No Caller ID" is just what it sounds like, the carrier didn't send anything.

"Withheld" *is* the CID string that was sent.

12. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Either way don't answer....you have to know that some people do answer and fall for their scam or buy their product, otherwise they would stop.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I've used it and highly recommended. There may have been a small fee to sign up but it was only US$5 or so a month. I had some middle schoolers start calling me during the day and night for no reason. When I got trapcall it unblocked their number and I called back and talked to their dad. I haven't had a call since. :)

14. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

still don't get that No Caller ID or Withheld.

I've had someone on the end from both in the past...

Withheld calls come from several companies I deal with, and NO Caller ID was once a call from the breakdown truck coming to pick up my broken down car, which was his mobile phone, so why is there both and not just one. Both withhold their number?

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps different carriers have it set up to respond differently when ID is not set up or when one is being blocked? Perhaps people/companies manually set theirs to something custom, which can easily be just "Withheld" or "Unlisted" or whatever else they might want.

16. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I'd love to know how they can do that. Even from mobiles.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Change caller ID? Often the carrier will offer the option for that or even to remove caller ID. Then also other apps can be used like Skype or something else where another number can be used to make a call or a number can even be spoofed.

18. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Don't know what's so hard to understand...

"No Caller ID" == the carrier didn't send you CID information or the phone didn't detect it.

"Withheld" == the carrier sent you CID information, it was the string "Withheld". Other strings (or any, or none) is possible.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID#Operation

19. cookback macrumors newbie

EXACTLY the same thing happening to me Twice a day... Can't (and wouldn't) call back but getting very annoying... Any ideas how to stop it ?

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Contact your cellular provider or see post #13 above. Others recommend Google Voice.

21. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Cant you put that service on your phone that you wont get any calls that come through with no caller ID info"

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Which service is that?

23. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I had something like that in the 90's. The caller would get a recording that they needed to unblock their number. I think they could press "1" to unblock it and there may have been a few other options.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

I remember that, but I think that was a provider/carrier option that could be requested. Not sure if any mobile carriers really provide that.

25. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Try calling your carrier. it may just apply to landlines but when I had a landline before I went to just my cell, I had that option on my house phone.

Do you have verizon by any chance? Not sure if this works but

http://www.ehow.com/how_5882329_block-unknown-callers-verizon-wireless.html

Instructions
    Navigate to vzw.com. Click "Sign In" in the upper right corner of the page. Log in to your Verizon Wireless account using your username or wireless phone number and online password.

Select your phone number from the list if your account's phone numbers. You'll find this list under "My Cell." Click "Go."

Click "Verizon Safeguards" in the menu on the left-hand side of the page, then click "Parental Controls."

Click the tab marked "Usage Controls." Scroll down until you see the menu for "Blocked Numbers." Click on "Blocked Numbers."

Click on "Add Blocks." Select the box next to "Restricted, Unavailable, and Private Numbers" and click "Ad

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5882329_block-unknown-callers-verizon-wireless.html#ixzz2un90qQbj