Receiving group messages but sending as SMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fredericroumi, Oct 7, 2014.

1. fredericroumi macrumors member

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.02

I am having no issues receiving iMessages (weather it's from groups or individuals) and I can reply to contacts individually via iMessage. However when I try to send a message in a group the message always sends as an SMS.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
    - Tried to turn off and back on iMessaging;
    - Tried to reset network settings;
    - Tried to message each contact of the group individually, iMessage worked fine.

I also have the same Apple ID setup on my rMini and I am not experiencing this issue, meaning I am capable of sending and receiving iMessages to both individual contacts and groups.

Anyone know how I can resolve this issue?

2. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

For some reason someone has flipped to sms vs iMessage in your group. I've seen a group do that before.

3. fredericroumi thread starter macrumors member

But I tried iMessaging each group member and it went through as an iMessage. Also, everyone in the group sends messages and they all appear as iMessages.

4. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I understand that. But somewhere in your conversation with the group somebody went out of range (data wise) or turned off iMessage and that started the sms (green balloon) conversation. I don't know why it can't pickuo with iMessage like normal single conversation texts do. Maybe try starting a new group with the exact people in it. I bet that works

5. fredericroumi thread starter macrumors member

I see. Thing is though, everyone else is able to send iMessages to the group but me.

6. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

See now that's odd. Try a new convo