Recent No Service, AT&T "don't know what to tell ya"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brunos82, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Brunos82 macrumors member

I recently upgraded to 3.0b2 on my iPhone and so I thought the problem was it....but after talking to friends round here I see the problem is AT&T.

Here in Fort Jackson, SC we all had 5 bars Edge on base. All of a sudden since last week we've had 1-0 bars or no-service.

Myself and friends have called AT&T customer service and they reported no problems at first but after a trip to the local at&t store today I learned this...

They recently worked on the tower a mile and a half from here but on the screen its showing as work completed and the tower is green.

The Assistant Manager is getting more info but doesn't sound promising.

At one point he said "I don't know what to tell ya...".

I work and live on base and for the past week I have been unreachable.

I give it one week and I make the switch to T-Mobile where I could use their hotspot service using my wifi at home.

Really don't want to give up the iPhone though and don't think I should have to pay the disconnect fee

What say you?

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Sounds like they have a tower down in your area. Tell everyone on AT&T in the area to call and complain and they will check it out.

You can use your phone wifi and skype to make outgoing calls while you're at home, at least.

3. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

But you have to pay for calls to landline and cell with Skype. Use [app]iCall[/app] [iTunes link]. It says it's ad supported calling but I've never seen or heard an ad. It even shows your cell number in the caller ID of your caller. Pretty cool! I use it all the time.

4. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

I need for people to be able to reach me while at home.

Right now Skype or third party apps only work if you leave them turned on while at home - which is impossible unless you take off auto-lock and leave your phone on all the time.

He said the tower was showing that it was worked on but on the system is showing is good now.

I'm going to call back tomorrow to see what he says.

I wish there was an app that allowed me to use my wifi for my voiceplan just like tmobile offers their unlmited hotspot calling.

5. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

sounds like a technician was lazy and closed out a job without even going to check it out. When I worked for verizon this was notorious. Gotta love union protection :rolleyes:

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When AT&T finally releases Femtocell support for U-Verse (or High Speed Internet), this should work out as T-Mobile has.

Also, engineers can be sloppy. Maybe they did the repairs and are reporting tower on and good, but the reality is that maybe to they forgot to switch something on or left something hanging.

7. ILBandit macrumors regular

I've had numerous conversations with the lovely ATT C.S. morons.
    I tell them that the tower is down for my town, they tell me that they don't see anything wrong with the tower, I tell them that all 3 of my ATT phones are not getting a signal, they tell me to turn the phone off, then turn it on again. I tell them it's not the phone, it's the service, they insist that the service is fine. Etc. Etc. etc.
    The last time it happened, I went without voice service for 3 days, they went back into the "it must be your phone" speech. LOL I told them it just must be a huge coincidence that every single ATT phone in my entire town all "broke" at the exact same time. LOL
    I've learned to just not waste your time with the customer service people, just tell them you want to talk to a tech, and bypass all the beginning stuff, usually the tech will tell you what's going on right away, they have always been pretty cool.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Hey do you have some more information on this? I found a few articles via google but they seem outdated.

This sounds really cool and could be very beneficial.