Reception problems with new iPhone 4S...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Z400Racer37, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey guys,

I just returned my sprint iPhone 4s for a Verizon one today, and the service is just as bad at my house (although better in many other places)... So I was looking around online for A good cell amplifier (or whatever you call them) and they had a lot of different options as far as MHz and dual band etc... Idk what I should pick... I just want one that Can ramp up a 1 bar signal to something decent at least for sprint and Verizon, but ideally for att as well... I'd like to be able to get rid of my home line... But I can't use something like an air rave femtocell type thing, because If I lose power and cable like right now, I'll be depending on a really poor signal to get me thru... Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? Any personal experiences with cell amps? I really wanna keep this phone!!! Please help!!!! Lol

Thanks a lot guys

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I really have no idea about the frequency doodad but have you tried at&t in your area?

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

What?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Have you tried the AT&T 4S? Maybe it will work better at you house.

But about your OP, what is wrong with 1 bar? Are calls being disconnected or something? I don't really experience anything less than 4 bars so I'm just curious.

If you call your carrier, Verizon, they might have cellular extensions that go in your house. I know AT&T has them.

5. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sprints femtocell called the air rave needs an Internet connection and it'll boost your signal to 5 bars in your house. I can't use that though because in the event of a cable (and therefore Internet) outage, I'd be out of a cell signal.

6. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Contact Verizon, they have this type of equipment to increase signal in areas with poor signal. My friend has one of these in her condo since her condo has literally 0 signal for any carrier. She opted to get Verizon since they had devices that helped signal strength.

7. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah haven't gone to the AT&T iPhone yet lol but I'd imagine it would be the same... I'm in a bit of a hole, half a mile up the Jill sprint and Verizon both get 3 bars.

8. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it's a couPle things. With one bar sometimes it goes to 0, and it also usually isnt strong enough to support 3G most of the time. I find it usually works, albeit slowly, at night because I guess less traffic means the signal doesn't get sapped on the way to my house and I can get a little until it stops working In The daytime..

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your reason for thinking that AT&T would also have poor reception at your house is? They use different towers. Just because certain carriers have poor reception doesn't mean that they all do. It's worth trying.

The "air rave femtocell" devices that you are talking about are entirely different than a cell phone booster. The "air rave femtocell" devices connect to your landline internet and send your cell phone voice and data through it a cell phone booster does not, it work independently of the landline internet.

Also bars really don't mean a lot so they are not a good thing to go by when judging reception or signal.

10. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've addressed why I can't use a femtocell and can use a booster thus indicating my understanding of the differences... And no one gets good service at my house ever. Maybe I will try AT&T but I'd rather not cuz if they're the same I'm exchanging it for unlimited data sprint which would be the 3rd exchange at that point... And why would bars not indicate signal strength? I know I'd rather have 5 of them than 0... What else would be the point of having them?