Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Here's one:
I think I may have realized why apple chose to recess the jack on the iphone. I was walking yesterday, listening to music, with my iphone in my front pocket and when I went to adjust the volume I instinctively braced my thumb against the headphone plug. Since the volume keys are hard to push, you need to brace the iphone on the opposite side to effectively lower or raise the volume. This is not necessary on the ipod because the volume is touch activated and on the front of the device. Hence, flush jack.
I bet apple wasnt going to recess the jack until testers came back with bent jacks and it was cheaper to recess the jack than to order new, lower pressure switches (or redesign them, altogether).

My prediction is that this is the last we'll see of the volume rocker as its currently designed, and also the last of recessed jacks.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure the did it because there's just no good way to have a flush jack on a round edge. :rolleyes:

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
all about design...

Yes, but good design is also accommodating to the user, not just appearance.
I cant say that needing an extra piece (fitted plug cable) is good design, regardless of how good it looks on the phone.

I think its either a grab for proprietary peripherals, which is shady, or a last minute design change...

BTW, I love my iPhone immensely and believe that as a package, UI especially, its a testament to excellent design.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, but good design is also accommodating to the user, not just appearance.

Sometimes you have to teach the user what the best solution is, touchscreen keyboard when most everyone is used to a physical keyboard, and Apple taught us that having a jack you can't break or wiggle loose is better than a jack you can.

They should have included an adapter like the Shuffle sports case had, but I have no issues with the jack as it stands.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
I don't know if this is what you all are talking about, but I just found out that my beloved Bang & Olufsen iPod headsets don't fit on the iPhone recessed jack, which is driving me crazy! I had problems with the original iPhone headsets (kept slipping out of my ears), so I had to put my iPod's black earbud covers on them. Meanwhile, it looks like I won't be able to use my B&O headset, which is really unfortunate. Oh well, for the sake of the iPhone...

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Hm, recessed jack. Seems to me that there are perhaps two key motives.

Firstly, design. There really isn't a great way to fit the jack on there securely other than the way it currently is.

Secondly, marketing. Now tons and tons of products (headphones, headseats) will come with "Compatible with Apple iPhone!" plastered on the casing. Viola! Free advertising for Apple. Also, Apple will be able to gauge it's product's effect on other related markets by observing how many designers follow suit and make "iPhone compatible" headphones.

Both of these are conceivable points of motivation for Apple to have the jack as it is. I really wish they would have just included an adapter. The best situation would, in my opinion, have been a modular headset setup where their microphone would be compatible with any generic headphones.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
The best situation would, in my opinion, have been a modular headset setup where their microphone would be compatible with any generic headphones.

Now thats a great idea.

It would be the best of both worlds.

machv

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
Because of design and helps support flimsy interior part of headphone jack - Chinese QC. Notice that when press headphone jack horizontally, it doesn't move or wiggle.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Possibly the Best iPhone Headset available

Like many iPhone owners, I have been searching for the best headset to replace the stock earbuds. Personally, I'm not a fan of earbuds, and thanks to some poor design decisions by Apple (shocking!), iPhone owners are at a disadvantage.

First, the headphone jack is NOT standard, despite Apple's claims on their web site. On the iPhone Q&A page
(http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html), Apple actually claims "iPhone has a standard 3.5-mm headphone jack, so it is compatible with most portable stereo headphones." The headset is recessed and the fact is that MOST headphones CANNOT work without a $10 klunky adapter. And from the looks of it, Apple could have hollowed out more of the casing to make room. So, any wired headsets have to use an adapter, or be trimmed with an exacto knife (which I've done), if they don't have a rare, micro-sized connector. And if you do manage to get a standard headset connected, it works for listening only, with no microphone for phone calls.

Next, Apple chose to limit the Bluetooth support. By not offering A2DP Stereo Bluetooth, only mono audio can be sent to the headphones. The hope is that a software update could address this, but it's a surprising ommission since many cheaper phones offer this today, and it's a popular iPod add-on. I've always been puzzled by those Apple
ads showing dancers shaking their booty, with that darn white headset cable prominently featured. By now you think they would have gone wireless.

So, there is no easy way to have quality headphones with either wired stereo WITH a microphone, or to have wireless stereo. But this is not meant to be a gripe session... I actually found a solution!

My research began even before I bought my iPhone. First, I searched my inventory of headsets to see which would fit. I found a Nike headset that had an adapter cable, plus a headset with a shorter wire (so you could plug it into an arm-mounted MP3 player), and trimmed the adapter cable, knowing that if I made a cutting error, it was only to the cable and not the headset. But that worked, for listening. I still wanted one solution for phone and music.

I happened to see a Bluetooth headset at Staples for $90. It was a hybrid model. The unit plugs into a 3.5mm headset jack but for phone calls, Bluetooth kicks in and mutes the wired music port. This is meant for people carrying BOTH an MP3 player and a Bluetooth phone, but it works great for the iPhone! Even better, because the iPhone knows to pause music when a call comes in. The connector, while small, isn't quite small enough to fit in the recessed jack, but as I was about to trim it, I noticed that the connector "shield" actually slides up so no cutting was necessary! (not sure if it was designed that way or I got lucky). The unit can clip to your shirt and has nice large buttons for volume and answering calls.

Most importantly, while the device ships with earbuds, they are swappable because the unit has its own 3.5mm jack (standard!) so you can plug ANY stereo headset in. Bose, Bang Olufsen, Sony... you name it!

The best news is I found many of them on eBay for about $25. The model is "JABRA BT325 STEREO BLUETOOTH HEADSET" and as long as you don't mind a wired headset that still needs to be charged (USB mini-B style, AC charger included), this is a great solution!

I hope this is useful to some of you! Take care and rock on!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I actually believe the reason for the recessed jack is actually for the safety of the device itself.

Think about it with it like this you can hold the headphones without fear of the iPhone detaching! Its like the iPod shuffle you can grasp it by the earbuds or what not and save your iPhone!!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Apple could have hollowed out more of the casing to make room...

There is no standard for the shape of that part of the headphone so there is no way Apple could have guaranteed every headphone would fit; some are round, some are square, some are fatter than others, and some are angled (which I actually prefer).

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
I actually believe the reason for the recessed jack is actually for the safety of the device itself.

Think about it with it like this you can hold the headphones without fear of the iPhone detaching! Its like the iPod shuffle you can grasp it by the earbuds or what not and save your iPhone!!

but the recessed does not make it so that there is more hold by the headphones. there is still the same force exerted through the headphone jack. and if you drop your iphone i would like to see you catch it with the headphones, although i can do it with my nano, there is a big difference in mass between the nano and the iphone

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
They are not the same design at all. Your an idiot.

im not saying they are but the ipod video has a curved face where the headphone jack is and there is still no recessed jack. and i fail to realize how that makes me an idiot. is it because i don't have an ipod video in front of me at this second so i cant get an exact description of how it looks. its a curved face with a non recessed jack. you're the idiot. and by the way check your grammer.

pixelshaders

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
im not saying they are but the ipod video has a curved face where the headphone jack is and there is still no recessed jack. and i fail to realize how that makes me an idiot. is it because i don't have an ipod video in front of me at this second so i cant get an exact description of how it looks. its a curved face with a non recessed jack. you're the idiot. and by the way check your grammer.

Because they miss one point: "there's no good way to have a flush jack on a round and slim edge.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Because they miss one point: "there's no good way to have a flush jack on a round and slim edge.

wrong. the ipod (30GB) has a depth of .43 inches, and the iphone has a depth of .46 inches. therefore it would make it easier to make one on the iphone because there is more room to work with. im not saying i would like a non-recessed port im just saying it could be done

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.