Reclaiming Storage space

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CTay, Jun 18, 2013.

1. CTay macrumors member

Hello All,

Been a user of iPhone for a while now and there has always been something that has baffled me. When plugging my iphone in to iTunes to view the summary of my iphone, I notice that the space being utilized seems odd.

App space 6.47 GB with 73 apps
    Photos space is 1.78 GB with 1504 photos
    Other space is 1.38 GB

How can I use this space more efficiently? My music storage keeps getting smaller and smaller...

Can I use icloud for some of the data or is the cloud only for backups? Can Apps data be in the cloud and off of the phone?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Delete the apps you don't need? Transfer/backup pictures onto computer?

I believe iCloud can only save the appdata. You choose to turn it to save appdata or not

3. CTay thread starter macrumors member

OK.... Looking for a little more USEFUL information than "delete apps you don't need." I am not trying to be rude but...come on.

My question is... can the icloud store data from the apps or is it simply a backup.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

That's the easiest way to reclaim storage space. You can always clear safari cache as well. Apps also tend to leave a huge cache over time, you can reinstall them to remove that cache

I believe iCloud can store app data. However, I don't trust iCloud all that much, I personally prefer iTunes backup. iTunes backup for sure does store app data (save data for games and such)

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Delete Messages with attachments (a conversation with a good friend of mine had 80mb !), delete the Safari Cache, delete cache/junk files from apps with Phone Clean. http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/
    After doing this you will reclaim back about 500mb.

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

your OTHERS usage space seems to be under control. you *could* reduce it somewhat (more if it is jailbroken) but i wouldn't expect you'd gain more than ~200MB out of your efforts - IF that much by cleaning cache, removing mail attachments, old messages, etc. etc.

your photos you could reduce their quality to gain some space or send them all to dropbox or icloud for viewing.

likewise with your music, you could stream all your music instead of having it on your phone.

judging by the space they take up, you probably have more than 200 apps installed (or probably a lot of games). if you are *really* concerned for space you will have to look at that as well.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Settings > General > Usage

It will show you how much data each app is using. Tap the largest ones and it expands to show you how much is the app size and how much is your own data in the app.

For example, I see that I have an app called Files Pro that is only 20 MB, but I have 4 GB stored in it. Maybe time to kill some files in there.

iMovie, on the other hand, only has 65 MB of personal data but the app itself is 519 MB. Looks like a lot of space for something I clearly am not using.

And so on.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Just going to post this. This program saved 1.3GB the first run. Very useful:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2