Recommend a new pair of headphones for my iPhone and iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hawk1410, Aug 26, 2011.

1. hawk1410, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I am not a big audiophile, but i love my music and i listen to a lot of hip hop/rap/R&B. Basically the stuff i listen to usually has plenty of bass. So i would like a pair of headphones with good bass reproduction. I had been using the stock Apple headphones for a long time and had been perfectly satisfied with them. After my first pair of earphones broke i started using the Creative EP 630s which came free with my laptop. And i really liked them, they had good bass reproduction and they were noise isolated in ear head phones. Now m Ep 630 is giving up on me and I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I want them to be in ear noise isolated, and have no idea what to look for. I just googles bet headphones and found a CNET list which listed the Klipsch Image S4 as the best ones around, anyone know how good they are. If they are as good as CNET says they are i am gonna get them. My price limit is around 50-70$.
    Also if anyone know any good audiophile forum please PM me. Thanks

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

www.head-fi.org

You want in-ear for sure?

The S4s get good reviews, but you can't beat a good set of Earphones ('Cans') that envelop your ears. I bought a pair of Shure 440s and absolutely LOVE them.

3. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah in ear for sure Thx for the link. I found a many audio forums by googling but i had no way of telling which on was good.
    Also i meant earphones, not headphones, although that must've been pretty obvious as i don't think there are any in ear headphones. My bad

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If your iPod or iPhone are still under warranty, Apple will replace your headphones for free. See the Self-service portion on Apple's Support site to set up a repair.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

Love my Klipsch's....

also have H2O go waterproof ones for workouts...

6. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am not really interested in using the Apple ones, i have like 3 spare apple headphones lying around. I am looking for better quality.

7. trssho macrumors 6502

I am a big fan of the Apple in ear phones, but my next purchase will be the S4i's. I would never buy another pair of headphones without a remote built in.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/in-ear-headphones/

8. danetello macrumors 6502

I would recommend some Sennhesier earphones, they are affordable and you can get some pretty good ones on Amazon for around $40-50. But I suggest you buy only from Amazon directly because a lot of marketplace sellers there are selling fakes.

9. Adriana-white macrumors newbie

Why not just use the original headphone from apple ? It works good for me.

10. jsilas macrumors regular

I have Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pros. They are exemplary and sound absolutely phenomenal. I highly recommend them.

[​IMG]

11. Hervboo macrumors member

Hervboo

+1 for the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi. Note they will set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

12. eclone macrumors newbie

iphone oem buds are garbage, but you can't beat their control.

sony MDR-EX300 with plugs and 13.5mm drivers sound awesome for $50, but lack of control makes them useless for me.

So, what did I do? best of both worlds.

[​IMG]

13. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

14. skittles90623 macrumors regular

I always thought the Bose sounded amazing. Looks very classy too.

15. MarkyN macrumors member

You can't go wrong with some Dr.Dre Beats studio headphones! Expensive yes, but amazing earphones, you will never want any another! Trust me!

If they are abit too exspensive then try some of the Skull Candy headphones. The in ear ones are very good, I do alot of BMX riding while listing to my iPhone and they never fall out of my ear's. I also listen to alot of Grime music, good bass in them earphones too. Around £20

16. Alexa2370 macrumors newbie

The Klipsch Image S4i is the very best. Listening to music and making phone calls for me is very smooth and sublime.

17. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense but skull candy aren't that good in terms of quality and the Dre Beats are overpriced for the quality they offer. Anyways i went with the Klipsch S4 and i like them so far. They were reasonably priced and dare a step up from my EP630s, thats exactly what i wanted.

18. Edduvall macrumors newbie

If you can wait for Amazon's black Friday sales, the price can drop very significantly. I got mine last year for just over $100 IIRC.

Oh, and they are superb! You do have to let them burn in and a good fit is a must. I use Comply foam tips.

19. Juan A macrumors newbie

I picked up a pair of Beats tours and a pair of Klipsch S4i's this weekend. I already own a pair of German Maestro GMP 453 S, which are phenomenal, I used as reference material. I will also mention I sell Hi end Home Audio as well as Car Audio and I used to judge IASCA SQ competitions so i am very familiar with good sound.

Anyways, After extensive listening to both pairs of ear buds I finally ended up returning the Beats. They quite simply do not sound good. The Klipsch's are much, much better sounding headphones. The beats were very boomy but not accurate at all. If you like mushy unrealistic sounding bass these are the headphones for you. The klipsch's had plenty of bass as well, but that bass was much more natural sounding. Where the Klipsch really shine are in all of the rest of the music. The mids and highs were much cleaner and crisper. the details in the music were much better expresser. The staging was also much better. Pretty much everything sounded better. Neither pair were quite as good as the German Maestros, but the are also much cheaper. Than being said, the Klipsch were by far the closer of the two.

I highly recommend the Klipsch S4i as the best bang for the buck earbuds on the market.

20. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

so i read the OPs description wrong haha.
    for $50-70 i have a pair of sony's that were $40 and are great - they even isolate noise. not sure the model though but have inline audio control