Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
reason I put my physical stats is so you can have an idea of how my body is and what will look good on me. I want something modern and masculine.

I'm a full time college student so I need to fit 4-5 one subject notebooks too. maybe a thin textbook here and there but not a necessity.

currently have a hot shot northface bag that I've had since high school
m_211620_s06_blk.jpg

and that thing is huge. I'm also not sure I want a bookbag because it makes my back hot and sweaty. also the hotshot is so large the 11.6" just gets lost in there and moves around too much.

Any male fashinistas wanna help me out?

EDIT: not looking to spend too much money. $50ish. Would spend more if I really really like something. Up to $100 maybe

Last edited:

Ironworker808

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
saddlebackleather.com

Classic Briefcase. It will be the last one you buy....ever.

Get it, go forth and be manly.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
saddlebackleather.com

I had one of those for a while, but I sold it again. Didn't fit my purpose. I doubt it will fit OP's purpose.

My advice if you are a college student, either invest in a good, sturdy backpack (and look like a dope ;)) or get some cheap messenger bag like a crumpler.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
saddlebackleather.com

just checked it out. it's nice but

holy crap it's expensive. I'll edit my OP to mention a budget.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Get an outer bag which you consider functional and properly fashionable for the image you want to project (climbers backpack, dog purse, ammo case, courier pouch, whatever), and put the MBA in a protective inner sleeve or padded pouch (or two) to keep it from rattling around.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
student - backpack
adult (with job or corporate environment) - get a Tumi alpha series and add a sleeve
fanboy - waterfield or tom bihn

that is really what you need to know

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
student - backpack
adult (with job or corporate environment) - get a Tumi alpha series and add a sleeve
fanboy - waterfield or tom bihn

that is really what you need to know

Backpacks make my back sweaty :/

Checked out tumi alpha serious. I liked a few shoulder bags. Kind of expensive though
Waterfield was nice too but a bit expensive
Tom bihn is straight up ugly.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Tom bihn is straight up ugly.

I have one of the T.Bihn MBA 11 cases. Plain black. Not great looking. But nearly the perfect size to protect my MBA 11, plus carry one book, sketchpad and sunglasses, etc.) Maybe a cm or so bigger than need be. Not suitable for a student who needs to carry more than one book or a binder, etc.

The Tumi cases look more like they say "steal me", than they say "old money" or "professional" to me.

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
get an incase sleeve and get a north face jester backpack. great backpack and is much smaller than that hotshot.

rsdq

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
If you like a messenger style bag

I stumbled upon this REI sling bag and it is the perfect fit for the 11" MBA. It has now become my every day man purse. I would call it a medium size bag.
Besides the MBA you can fit the rest of the days essentials in the main compartment.

http://www.rei.com/product/786472

I keep my MBA in the SFbags sleeve inside with a top opening so I have easy access.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I stumbled upon this REI sling bag and it is the perfect fit for the 11" MBA. It has now become my every day man purse. I would call it a medium size bag.
Besides the MBA you can fit the rest of the days essentials in the main compartment.

http://www.rei.com/product/786472

I keep my MBA in the SFbags sleeve inside with a top opening so I have easy access.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

THANK YOU!

I really like that. I found a store near me. I think I'll go check it out. great price too

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I suggest you get lazy and gain 100 lbs so it will be easier to pick out a bag. If you were 6" shorter, even better. :D:D

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
reason I put my physical stats is so you can have an idea of how my body is and what will look good on me. I want something modern and masculine.

I'm a full time college student so I need to fit 4-5 one subject notebooks too. maybe a thin textbook here and there but not a necessity.

currently have a hot shot northface bag that I've had since high school
m_211620_s06_blk.jpg

and that thing is huge. I'm also not sure I want a bookbag because it makes my back hot and sweaty. also the hotshot is so large the 11.6" just gets lost in there and moves around too much.

Any male fashinistas wanna help me out?

EDIT: not looking to spend too much money. $50ish. Would spend more if I really really like something. Up to $100 maybe

it's a backpack bud. a backpack.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I have this one myself: Case Logic from Amazon

They don't have my exact style listed anymore but the ones they have look good in my opinion. I never liked backpacks either, and the messenger bag has gotten a lot more popular in recent years. It's made for a bigger laptop (15-inch), but that will allow you to put more books and folders in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.