Recommend me a case for someone who drops their phone a lot

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nizmoz, Dec 3, 2011.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I purchased an iphone 4 for my Mom to have. She has had a Otterbox Defender on it since she has had it, and it was replaced under warranty once already due to the rubber stretching and getting loose. It's doing it again, and I want to get her a LIGHTER, thinner, case but also one that still protects it good from drops. Any recommendations out there that you guys might have that I can get for her? She is starting to hate the case too.

Thanks!

2. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Otterbox commuter?

At $18 you could just get her a few and when they stretch out replace. It's not as bulky but still offers all around protection.

3. DougNg macrumors member

What is she doing with the phone when she drops it? Is it just in storage or in her hand or is she using it when she drops it?

Because if it's just falling out of her purse, you might want to look at a neoprene sleeve like the one that Built NY makes

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Just in her hand when caring it around and she drops it.

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Sounds like my mother. Drops her phone, drops her glasses, etc. I had to take her to the optical store to get lenses replaced in all her glasses because they were so scratched.

Otterbox Reflex Series is another nice option.

There is also the Griffin Survivor

6. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Those are still a bit heavy and big. Any one else?

7. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

maybe with a bumper bro?

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I got one of these Speck Pixelskin cases as part of that case program for the iPhone 4. It doesn't add much weight or bulk and may give enough protection.

9. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

10. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

11. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Got one of the same cases for my girlfriends Nexus S 4G.. Better quality than I was expecting, and it seems to be pretty durable. It's a nice case for the price

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I would get her one of these, an Arkhippo case . Consider it as a secondary case to your primary.
    They're very ExtraTerrestrialesque.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

14. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The Incipio Bomb Proof is nice. I doubt it's ability to survive a bomb, but it should do fine for drops provided you don't drop it on top of a rock or something to crack the screen.

15. SipperyPete macrumors regular

Please tell me that's a joke...that thing is hideous. I don't care if she has a tendency to throw her phone out of a moving car, I still would never recommend such a thing...

:eek:

16. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

actually its great if you want to give your phone to the kids to play with.... lmao :p

17. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've dropped my phones a lot with my Speck Candyshell cases. Always ended up fine! Hard rubber is awesome

18. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Leather at Target

I forget the name of who makes this case, they use to have them a lot during the iPhone3 days. But there is a nice leather case at Target (looked at best buy where I got my old one for my iPhone 3 and they don't carry it). The leather goes all around the phone, and has a flip cover on the front that closes with a magnet. When I use to drop my iPhone 3 alot this saved my day. The only problem is taking it out for a good pic, plus flipping the cover open all the time, but it's fully protected from normal falls, and a good size. Yes the outer box is great, but it is big.
    If you stop by target I would check it out at least, I think 30.00.

Now if you have a warranty then maybe you should check out other cases that are easier for pics. Since if you do drop it while a pic the whole phone may not be protected. Plus target has 90 days to return a product.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

How about this By Cygnett?

[​IMG]

I still think you should get the Arkhippo case. This should withstand multiple drops and falls and then some.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Xanderprime macrumors member

The lifeproof case is light, thin, waterproof and shockproof from 6ft high. I've dropped mine a few times with no problems. It is expensive though at $80.

21. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Speck Candyshell. Lots of good color combinations. Now comes in Satin finish if scratches on shiny finish bother you (they don't really bother me). I have dropped my iphones numerous times in Candyshell with absolutely no damage.:eek:

22. Standardtunes macrumors newbie

Speck Radial 4-ply

My Speck case looks like black rubber tire treads. Don't know the model name and it's harder to get in and out of a tight pants pocket than a hard case. HOWEVER, I started with a cool hard case and dropped my new phone five times in the first month or so until it finally landed screen down on a rock, cost me $199. The Speck has the virtue of never slipping out of my hand. Haven't come close to dropping it in the past year.:)

23. babygirlvv macrumors newbie

24. ET iPhone Home, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home