recommend me a good monitor/hdtv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kelv1ntran, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kelv1ntran macrumors member

i've been lookin around for a couple days now for my macbook because the screen is kinda small and al my books i'm gettin are pdfs :) (kinda good don't gotta buy books now) trade off burning my retinas starting at my screen for hours on end... haha but yea my dad said he would spot me money to buy a monitor and i pay him back whenever i can i was looking at the samsung t240hd (refub for ~$280 shipped) my dad was showing me the costco deal its a 26" proscan hdtv with dvd player for about the same price but brand new... i'm kinda on the samsung 1 because it looks soo much sleeker however for the money i was wondering is there any other hdtv/lcd monitor that i should get? ACD looks amazing but is surely out of my grasp :(

cliffs: want a lcd/hdtv for ~$300 or less is preferred :) thanks

2. matt18012 macrumors member

Hi,

I would recommend the Benq G2400 24" lcd monitor. It has 1900x1200 resolution and a hdmi port for ps3 and xbox. NCIX has it for $244 (Reg $360 at new egg) this week.

3. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Careful, lower-end HDTV's have poor picture quality and do not work well as monitors. I believe Costco has a good return policy though, so experimenting might not cost you much more than time. If you do experiment, make sure you have a good return policy. Personally, I'd say go for the samsung t240hd because it really is what you want, a tv/hdtv for less than $300. The t240hd at amazon is $420 shipped, so $280 is a great price. You're basically saving $140 by going refurb.

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If you don't mind 22 inches go with the 2209wa. Its the cheapest high quality IPS screen your gonna find. If you need a tuner though, it might not be the best option unless you have a cable box and a hdmi to dvi convertor. If you can up your budget, Pretty much all Sony Bravia TV's, even at 24 inches use higher quality S-PVA panels and have decent processing and scalers. They seem to be the only company that exclusively uses the same type of panel. If you don;t need the built in tuner then go with a 2408wfp which also uses an S-PVA panel and has both HDMI, Displayport, and Component so you can hook up a cable box or blu ray if you need to. If you don't need wide viewing angles though, theres plenty of decent TN screens out there for a good price.

5. stevod macrumors member

Dell have quite a few full HD monitors at 22" - 24" - they seem to have come down a lot in price lately.

I have a 2408WFP and it's good - really nice panel - benefits from hardware calibration though.

S

6. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I have a Samsung 2253BW. I give it a "meh". It's a nice attractive design, but it lacks USB ports, and the panel is quite dim, even at 100% brightness.

I am in love with my friends Samsung T200 though. Much better display.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Totally off topic, but I LOVE your avatar. That episode was soooo FUNNY!!!

Ok, back to the topic. 24" LED ACD.:p