Recommend me a P&S - Sony HX5V vs Canon SX210IS vs Panasonic ZS7

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SidBala, Nov 8, 2010.

1. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I am looking for a good P&S for my dad. He is not *that* much into photography. He wants just something to capture family events and stuff. He also wants pretty good video capability too.

I am leaning towards the Sony HX5V because it has got 1080i at 60fields/s. And the youtube demo videos on them are quite a lot sharper than the 720p videos of the other two.

What do you guys recommend? Anyone have any experience with these cameras?

Also, he doesn't care too much about the size of the camera. So I am open to suggestions of any others too. But please, within $300 - $400.

Thanks!

2. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

Sounds like you're set on the Sony. To be honest it seems like it's the right one. I was going to suggest the Zs7 because of the GPS but I see the Sony has that as well.

The only thing that would make me go the route of the Zs7 is the price and also not needing full 1080p output. Most people aren't going to be utilizing 1080p to it's full capacity as it it. You also have to think about disk size if he plans to keep it on the computer or burn it to a DVD.

If he's just doing it for a hobby and isn't really going to be using the camera all that much, I'd say save a hundred bucks and go for the zs7. That sony sure is nice looking I do have to say. I'd love to play with one my self.

I've been using the Panasonic Lx3 for a bit and it's exceptional, I would suggest that or the lx5, but it's creeping up on that price range and it offers more controls than what he'd probably be comfortable with in a point and shoot.

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

When I was looking for a new point and shoot last spring these three were my short list. I liked the Sony and Panasonic because of the GPS. I ended up getting the Canon, mainly because it hit the market first and I am partial to Canons. I have been pretty impressed with it. The only thing I don't particularly care for is with long zooms in low light, such as indoors. The shutter speed has to slow down so much that it is hard to get a good shot free handed, even with the Image Stabilization. I haven't played with the others, so I'm not sure how they really compare to the canon.

4. SidBala thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I am kind of biased towards Canon too. My older camera was a canon and it was awesome.

However, the Sony one does seem to have better video. That is the only reason I'm leaning towards that one. I don't think the gps will do much good. It takes a few minutes to acquire a lock. Seems more like a gimmick than a serious feature to me.

5. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

This might help: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

Of those you mentioned, I'd probably choose (for myself) the Canon for the simple fact that it has a scroll wheel, but I like having manual control. I bought my own dad (who used manual cameras back in the day like everyone else but is now a P&S guy) an HX5 not long ago and he loves it, though he's an unabashed fan of Zeiss optics.

6. SidBala thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow that link is awesome. Thanks!

Looks like I will be going with the Sony HX5V after all.

I was about to go out and buy this from Best Buy right now. Is there any point waiting for Black Friday sales?