Recommendation:Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle *

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aviddk, Nov 7, 2007.

1. aviddk macrumors regular

Okay, when we were waiting for the SR MBs there were endless threads about what was in the pipeline. MR changed their Buyer's Guide advice on the iPhone to Recommendation:Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle * sometime last week. IIRC Still no threads with endless speculation about what prompted the Buyer's Guide change.

Here is a rundown on the situation as I see it.
    The iPhone is coming out in UK and Germany on Friday. Is there any chance this could be a new model with minor upgrades and 16GB memory? Then again there is a theory that there will be a new model at MW on 01/08. OTOH there are those who say Apple wouldn't slap the UK, German and Canadian buyers in the face by pulling out a new model within 60 days of selling them iPhone #1. OTOH SJ said there was no 3G model coming for at least six months.

Why has the MR buyers guide changed and what are people expecting. :confused:

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Maybe its just the fact that it was updated (no 4GB and cheaper 8GB) after 68 days and now its been 64 days since that price drop. No speculation required.

3. JCPH macrumors member

Isn't it the million-dollar question: what are the chances of an updated iPhone anytime soon? Would Apple wait two years (or however long it is) until their partnership with AT&T expires to update their product? Moreover, would the next iPhone be harder to jail-break? I can only suppose so.

I guess the billion-dollar question then is, should one wait for the next version of the iPhone, or is one better off buying the device right now (especially if one was going to jail-break it)...

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Buy now and enjoy it. Then, when the next one comes out, buy that as well. :D

5. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

... and unlock that one, too!

6. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Maybe they just said it because stock is lower than before? It's possible that Apple have shifted some of their stock for the European launch tomorrow :)D)?

But maybe I've misread the thread and talking nonsense?

7. alFR macrumors 68020

I'd say that the most likely reason is that the web server automatically changes the displayed recommendation based on the length of time since the last release: I can't see it being edited manually. That would mean it could change regardless of how likely it is that an update is actually on the way.

Personally I expect:
    1. An update to 16Gb in spring next year (maybe as early as MWSF but I think it depends on how quickly 16Gb Flash chips filter through)
    2. Continuing software updates to add some of the "missing" features (proper todo sync, separate calendars sync from iCal, etc.)
    3. 3G about this time next year.

8. zed2 macrumors 6502a

If you're always waiting for the next thing to come out then you'll never enjoy the current thing!

Apple wouldn't dare bring out a new iphone in 60 days.. it would just kill the UK market, no one would buy it because they'll expect another newer one shortly after...

I'd expect a new version round June 2008, with 3G and 16Gb, it's not that long away but long enough for people with Gen 1 phones to update to Gen 2.

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

April for the 16GB version (no other change). Next October/November for the new 3G version.

Just my opinion.

An obversation that probably means nothing. The O2 and AT&T tie ins (18 and 24 months respectively) end at roughly the same time.

10. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

iPhone is not going to get updated physically for a while. It will get new features in new firmware updates, but besides that I don't see anything happening any time soon. 2-3 years at the least before we see a 2nd gen. For now, we can only dream what that's gonna be like.

11. Clancycoop macrumors member

They can update all sorts of things with the updates. What are we waiting for hardware-wise? 3G, GPS, and more GBs. Personally, I don't think it would be worth going the time without the iPhone just to get a couple of hardware additions. I don't think we will see those first two for awhile because Steve has said himself why they chose not to include them.

Just get the phone, and if they update it, you will be able to sell it for half-price and pay the difference to get a little dot on your already great maps that tells you where you are.