Recommendations on a camcorder under $400

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by adamk77, Aug 3, 2009.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to dabble in simple video production to upload to Youtube and share with family members. I ran across a superb video tutorial on Final Cut Pro and it has really piqued my interest. I don't plan on doing anything complicated. I'd like to fool around with it when I'm bored, carry it when I'm on mini trips, film some video tutorials or reviews of products, etc. To that end, I'm looking to purchase a basic but functional camcorder under $400 that can be used directly with Final Cut without having to convert the recorded videos into a format that Final Cut understands, etc.

I saw this on Amazon.com - Sanyo Xacti HD1010 4MP MPEG4 High Definition 1080i/1080p Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom by Sanyo

Does anyone have first hand experience with this camcorder? Or is there another one around my price range that you would recommend?

I'd like to do away with any tape based camcorders. I'd like to simply plug it into my MBP and transfer the videos over and open it in Final Cut without any added hassles.

Thanks for any helpful input.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Well with most flash-based camcorders, you will need to transcode the files into an editing format before you can work with them in FCP.

3. SentGnar macrumors newbie

SentGnar

4. Tummy macrumors regular

I have a Sanyo HD1010 and would recommend you get the HD2000 instead, or step down to the CG10 (720p only). The HD2000 has much improved stabilization, a wider angle lens, plus other small improvements. I find the lens on the HD1010 too narrow and always have to use it with the wide angle converter lens. That causes it to be too heavy and a lot bigger.

The CG10 is less than $200. Has similar image quality, but is only 720p and a 5x zoom, and lacks some of the abilities that I didn't use on the HD1010 anyways.

I recently ordered a CA9 which is like a CG10, but waterproof for about $350, but it's not currently sold in the US.

I haven't tried it with FCP, but in iMovie I just click Add movies, select the files, and it generates thumbnails briefly. No transcoding necessary. Also the MP4 files will upload directly to youtube without having to first edit on the computer, and will play on my PS3 right from the camera.

IMO MiniDV is dead for the casual user and flash memory is the way to go. Much easier for the average person to deal with. No need to "import" from the tape since you just drag the files over.

5. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Tummy. That was very helpful.

The HD2000 sounds great, but the average price seems to be around $550, which is a bit out of my price range. It looks like the HD2000 just came out though, so maybe I should wait a few months to see if the price drops at all.

6. Tummy macrumors regular

Forgot to add that the Sanyo FH1 is basically the same as the SD2000, but a different form factor and currently about $430.