Recommended 27" monitor for rMBP 13"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gr4z, Dec 18, 2014.

1. gr4z macrumors regular

Hi guys

I was just about to purchase a 27" 4k monitor for my 13" rMBP (Dell P2715Q) and then found out it cannot drive it at 60hz (only 52 with the hack). I am worried that this won't work too well. I am only using it for docs, web, emails etc no gaming.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that will work at high res similar 4k? Or has anyone got a 4k screen working well with 13" rMBP?

Thanks

2. StE823 macrumors member

i would like to know too, if i can't find any i might just stick with the TBD....

3. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

if your not going to game you won't notice the 30hz of difference.

4. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

oh but you will.. :D

5. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Why not just skip 4k until you've got machines that can drive that amount of pixels properly? The next Macs you buy will probably have strong enough GPUs. Until then, accept that your machines weren't built with that use case in mind.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am currently also looking into externals and I find the 4k screens available to be underwhelming. I also don't see that much difference between 2560x1440 and 4k myself. I'd prefere better color reproduction and brightness. i really like the regular imac screens.
    The difference between 30Hz and 60Hz however is huge!

7. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Oh but we do NOT notice 30Hz. Our late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" drives our new Dell UP2414Q. It is gorgeous and crisp with Photoshop and spread sheets

We do not game.

8. StE823 macrumors member

Because I don't want to buy two separate monitors if I know it will work? I didn't want the 15" because I travel a lot for work, if 4k display works with my 13" it will be a bonus.

Meanwhile I am still debating between iMac 5k or Mac Pro with 4k monitor(s).

9. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

get mac pro, with the 5k imac, after couple of years your monitor will still be of use but the cpu and gpu is gonna feel sluggish and obsolete. another reason why i don't like all in ones.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

CPUs don't change that fast these days. Your only real option would be to find a used 12 core when servers of that generation start to hit retirement. The gpus are not likely to see any aftermarket options. I don't really like the imacs either, but your solution doesn't solve much.

It's a driver thing. GPUs that fully support the displayport 1.2 spec can drive 4K displays at 60hz. It still won't help you with 5K, which Apple chose for pixel doubling reasons. It's hard to tell how long you would wait on that. Displayport 1.3 included specifications for resolution as high as 8K, but it covers a wide range of hardware. Displayport 1.2 came out at the end of 2009, so it could be a while.

11. ra004e macrumors regular

These upcoming monitors might be good alternative while waiting for 4k to become mainstream. Should be good value for price, easy to drive @2560x1440 and good pixel density.

https://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-vx24ah-23-8-inch-wqhd-model/
    https://pcmonitors.info/benq/benq-bl2420pt-with-23-8-inch-wqhd-screen/
    https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-u2515h-with-25-inch-2560-x-1440-panel/

All should be available very soon, Dell is already available on Dell Chinese website, usually stateside a few weeks after.

12. StE823 macrumors member

Amazing! Thanks!

13. gr4z thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks chaps. In the end I bought a Samsung S27D850T which gives me 1440p loveliness.

Attached Files:

14. JulesK macrumors 6502

Thank you!

Thank you for this. I am trying to decide whether to switch from my trusty 24" ACD to a different monitor for my new 2013 MBP Retina (last year's model on closeout), and can't quite stomach the Thunderbolt Display, even at the Refurb store price. (The issues with the MagSafe-MagSafe2 converter don't provide much encouragement.) The Dell would be perfect, particularly with the build-in USB3 hub. Hopefully it's here soon (and then goes on sale....).

15. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

It's a big mistake to spend money on non-4K display at this stage.

Any Mac with Thunderbolt 2 running latest Yosemite 10.10.1 will have no problem driving 3840 x 2160 resolution at 50Hz. There is a number of 4K (well "UltraHD" to be more precise) available at reasonable price. Why waste money on anything less?

16. dmbadict04 macrumors newbie

Recommended 27" monitor for rMBP 13"

Any suggestions for a 4K monitor?

I actually stopped by Best Buy today and was blown away by the 5K iMac. Was originally going to throw in the towel and buy a Thunderbolt Display but seeing that resolution in the flesh has me interested in the non-apple alternatives.

17. JulesK macrumors 6502

I want a non-4K/UtraHD monitor for the same reason I use Display Zoom on my iPhone 6. My eyes are nowhere near they used to be, and despite all the tricks one can use to make icons, text, menus, etc. bigger on an UltraHD monitor, from I can see from screen shots, everything is just too small for comfort. I guess I could pick a lower resolution, but why not just pay less for a monitor with a lower native resolution. I'm perfectly happy with the resolution of my 24" ACD.

18. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I don't own a 4K screen right now (waiting for MacBook Air with TB2 update), but people have had good experience with Dell P2715Q. That's what I'd likely go with, if I was in a market for a new display right now.

You do realize that Apple now supports HiDPI (aka "retina") modes, don't you? With HiDPI - you can choose a custom resolution where your UI elements are of sufficiently large size, but are drawn with high PPI density. This results in a very crisp and clear UI and text, while still keeping the text & interface elements large enough to be readable.

The 5K iMac is certainly not meant to be run at "native" 5120x2880 resolution - that would be silly. Instead, it runs at 2:1 2560x1440 resolution, where you get the same size of UI as "non-retina" 27" display, but everything is rendered with 4x number of pixels.

Long story short - "everything is just too small for comfort" isn't a good reason to not go with 4K display.

19. johnnyyt macrumors member

i was in the same situation you were in a couple days ago.

i was deciding between three 1440p monitors:
    dell u2713hm
    samsung s27d850t
    asus pb278q

i ended up going with the asus. ive heard nothing but good reviews about the asus display. hows the samsung treating you?

20. gr4z thread starter macrumors regular

So far very good. Can't quite help wondering if I should of waited for a 4k but then my rMBP 13" was never going to be able to drive it at 60Hz anyway.

21. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

That's incorrect. Your rMBP comes with Thunderbolt 2 ports, and is perfectly capable of driving UltraHD resolution at 60hz. Read the numerous threads on this topic - other people are doing that just fine.

22. JulesK macrumors 6502

OK-Thank you. That's very helpful to know. I like my ACD (and would like a Thunderbolt Display even more) because I want to eliminate as many cables as possible. Personal preference. Clearer is better, though.

Hopefully, Apple will release a Thunderbolt2 4K display, but since people have been dying off holding their breathes for an update to the Thunderbolt Display, I'm not going to wait for that. I am willing to wait another year or so for the 4K display market to mature a bit (and get cheaper).

23. gr4z thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I thought the maximum 4k refresh rate with a 13" rMBP is 52Hz?

24. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It is. The 13s can only run 4k @ 52hz (or is it 53?). It can not run it at full 60hz. Only the 15's can....

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

----------

Late 2013 15" rMBP's can do 4K at 60hz. It's the 13's that can't. You sure you aren't running it at 60hz and just never realized it?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

----------

Incorrect. Only the 15"ers are capable of 60hz UltraHD. The 13's have to do a hack to even get to 50hz.

25. StE823 macrumors member

So anyone successfully run 4K @ 52hz with their 13" rMBP?