Recommended books for a male freshman in high school?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ItDoesntMatter, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ItDoesntMatter macrumors newbie

I need a "free choice book.
    More recent books are preferred.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

All Quiet On The Western Front

You might have to read it next summer, so why not do it this summer, and not read next summer :p

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you allowed to read anything? What is Free Choice exactly? Is that like a summer reading list?

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole ( this is a book that I simply enjoyed )
    Not on Our Watch (I forget the author)

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Free Choice is exactly what it means....you choose the book, and do your summer assignment on that book. They give you the summer assignment, but it's open-ended, so you can choose whatever book you want.

Like, for me, one of mine is to read any book, and on the first quarter of the book, write a 1pg essay on how I relate to the main character.

5. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

6. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

If you are interested in fantasy, there's always Lord of the Rings, or even better some of the short stories and ancillary stories that Tolkien wrote.

I would also second "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time".

Depending on how fast you read/how much time you have, "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" (I might have the name slightly wrong). It's DENSE is the only thing.

Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" are also really good. They read like short stories, so you can read it in drips and drabs, but the stories are interconnected and build together to the end. Also nice is that if you need to write a report on it for work there's a ton of great themes that can be linked to historical and current events, which makes it a good source for interesting essays and such.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. And then you'll want to read the rest of the series. And then you'll want to read the Ender's Shadow series. So good.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Lets see some books I read from back then that I enjoyed.

Eve, Redwall series. The Fly Dutchman I think is a really good book (same author as redwall.

When I was 13-14 years old I read Timeline, Jurassic Park, Lost World, and Congo all 4 were great books and the movies were crap compared to them. Hell in the book Jurassic park had a very different ending than the movie and some of the people that lived in the movie died in the book this made the book The Lost World very different because some of the chars were dead that were in the start of that movie. Both are very good books.

10. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It (All Quiet on the Western Front) is a good book, but it can be hard to stay focused while reading it.

I personally like 1984 by Orwell. It's a very good book, and can IMO can captivate anyone who has a brain.

War and Peace by Tolstoy, is also a good book, but it isn't the easiest book to follow. It's a challenge to read, but it has a very interesting plot IMO.

Those are the "classics" that I'll recommend.

I also like The Company by Robert Littell. It's an interesting albeit fictionalized account of the cold war, and the spy games played by the CIA and Moscow. It is a long read though. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere around 800 pages.

BTW, I'll be a Sophomore in high school this year if that matters.

Don

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I second that. A must read for high-school age boys.

13. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Read something that's easy to expand on in a paper. Perhaps something that has a message/underlying message that can be argued for/against. Don't read a book you have a hard time understanding, because it will be even harder when you have to write about it!

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Im-Calling-Selected-Stories/dp/0679722319

Now that is a book that you can write 100 pages on easily. It is basically a lot of short stories but each one has so many messages about the way people act or how humanity is in general.

It's a fantastic collection of stories and it is high in content. Very easy to understand / grasp his point.

14. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. No, not the movie!

15. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

Blades of Glory by John Rosengren.

Its based on a Hockey team but it is a great book talking about the perils of moving up in sports ultimately playing Varsity.

It takes you through the journey of the best team in the nation and the lives the kids live and what they have worked for their whole life. I would definitely read the summary to get an idea because I can not do this book justice.. It carries over to all sports...

5/5

16. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Catcher in the Rye
    Catch 22
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Animal Farm
    -all books you will probably end up reading if your Lit teachers are worth their salt-

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
    -this one I read because I was working with Autistic kids, it can be a bit hard to read, as it is written as if you were in the mind of an Autistic person-

Lord of the Rings is great, but probably not what you want for a one page assignment.

I would avoid reading most of the books that are made into movies, as there is the temptation to drop the book and watch the movie. The movies will almost never be as good as the book.

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Read the Uglies series by David Westerfeld. It's a great series with awesome futuristic technology. It's about a girl name Tally who is trying to find out what secrets the city and government are hiding. Highly recommend these.

18. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I agree. I finished Ender's Game and am now finishing Speaker for the Dead. Such good books. In the two days I have had it, I have read over 300 pages in it and am almost done!!

19. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

20. bbbensen macrumors 6502

As a teenager who is reading that book for a required reading, I disagree. He is so full of angst that its ridiculous. Every other thing "just kills him!" or is so goddam this or that.

But thats just me. :)

I would recommend reading Paper Towns by John Green. Excellent book, but got a little to sappy at the end for my tastes.

21. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

+ 1 for Nineteen Eighty Four. Possibly my favourite book ever written. I've lost track of how many times I read it.

I'm a bit of a fan of dystopian literature so my recommendations are...

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley.
    Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    Ridley Walker - Russell Hoban
    The Children of Men - P.D. James

22. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

+1 :)

I'm in high school as well. I recently finished reading "Of Mice and Men" and "Fahrenheit 451".

"Of Mice and Men" is quite a good book, and unfortunately short. But it's still worth a read.
    "Fahrenheit 451" is quite an interesting read. I can't really describe it, so i'm hoping for someone else to back me up on it :D

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The Chosen by Chaim Potok. Great book in general, but especially for your age group. If you like fantasy you could go with The Once and Future King by T.H. White. It's his version of the King Arthur legend.

24. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

Its very long and very complex but also THE meodernist novel.

James Joyces Ulysses

Although on second thought something a more approachable would probably be better and since I like science fiction why not:

Alfred Bester's The Starts My Destination

Very cool easy to read book that also happens to be really good.

25. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Dubliners was good too.