Recommended Lens for Shooting Video on a Canon T1i ( 500D )

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gman71882, Jul 11, 2011.

1. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Hey Everyone,
    I've got a Canon T1i which i use for work & everyday photography.
    I've been in a band the last few months, and have started filming our gigs, with little luck getting any useable footage.
    Using the stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens is not working out.

The bars generally have very low lighting, so I've been looking for a good prime lens to use for taking video. I was hoping to get a few recommendations from the other photographers out there.

I found this one on Amazon for only $120, which is very highly reviewed and seems good for an entry level lens:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-...=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1310396795&sr=1-3

This one doesn't have image stabilization, but i was wondering how much that mattered for video?

Budget is about $100 - $250

Any Thoughts?

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That's a pretty decent lens, especially for its price. I don't like how the focus ring is at the end of the lens though.

IS isn't completely necessary, but it does help a lot with video since camera motion is accentuated in DSLR video.

The 1.8 is great for low light shooting, but keep in mind that the lower you go the more troublesome keeping everything in focus will be.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Before you get it, try setting your 18-55 at around 50mm and taking a few video test shots with it, to see what it's like. To me, 50mm is really tight as the only lens on a crop-camera; see if you can find the 35mm f/2 used somewhere.

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I dont know much about shooting video. But, I would think that, if you plan on recording audio from the cameras built in mic and need a zoom, then a quiet zoom lens would be required. But a prime wouldnt have this issue.

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you misquoted since that wasn't what I was talking about at all. The issue is that 50mm on a crop-sensor is really tight.

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Yes I misquoted

7. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Actually, what is required is quiet focusing. And there are zoom lenses AND prime lenses with not too quiet focusing motors, not to even mention screw driven focusing motors built into some camera bodies ...

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Yeah you're right. And my 50 1.8 aint that quiet when focusing.

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That doesn't matter too much since there's really no autofocus for video anyway. You're better off adjusting everything manually.

Where the noise could be a problem is if you have an IS lens and that creates noise.

And even then, if you're looking for decent audio, you don't want what's being captured on the camera's mic.

10. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

^^^ This is good advice. The 50 is REALLY tight on a crop sensor. Yes, it's good in low light, BUT the the location of the focus ring is tricky AND it's really tight.

I have a 50 the 18-55 kit for my t2i. I found that I ended up using my kit MUCH more than the 50, even in low light. I just jacked up my ISO - not ideal I know, but I couldn't take the "tightness" of the 50. It all depends on what you are shooting. If you are in a cramped bar the 50 is going to BLOW.

just my .02

11. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

For my T1i shooting in low light definitely wide aperture is a must.

I use my 50mm f1.4, but like some have said on crop camera that gets tight (like a 85mm) at times, if I had to do it again I'd consider a 35mm f/2 as alternative like suggested. Tried the 15-85 zoom I have, but in low light the prime is better.

Are you shooting these free hand?
    When I shoot video I ALWAYS try and use my monopod.
    Stability in up down when resting does wonders for the video viewability, easy to pan side-side, and when needed can easily be pick up and swing around for a quick up close shot, get the action going on, etc.

12. gman71882 thread starter macrumors 6502

gman71882

Thanks for all the input! looks like 50mm may be to tight for shooting in the bars, so I think i may check out the 35mm f/2 and see if i can find one for $250-300 used.

Also found a 28mm f/2.8 which seems promising.
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28mm-2-...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310839074&sr=1-6

Yes, We've been recording freehand. I've got a tripod that i can use, so i'll give that a go.
    Since I play in the band, i've been asking friends to shoot the songs we play, and most of them don't handle a camera on a regular basis, which exacerbates the problems with focusing & movement.

I've been getting more interested in shooting video with my T1i, so I'm thinking of building a Gimbal to help with camera shake as well.