Resolved Reconnect unsupported Leopard Macs to Dropbox

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Czo macrumors regular

Yes, i see, 27 days left.

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

This thread got sticked? And @MysticCow's FAQ thread still isn't? :confused:

3. Czo macrumors regular

Files has been updated. We are good for the next 2-3 months. Why dropbox upgrading thier app in every 1-2 week when nothing is changed in thier syncing protocol?

4. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea, but thank you again Czo!

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

there is already a FAQ thread... as many have said, I don't really see the point to having another FAQ. This thread has been extremely helpful to many people, and over time without updates, it gets dropped down and becomes hard to find.

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

@Czo : thanks again keeping DP alive for such a long time.

Wish I could code ... and contribute to this community with a fork of Cyberduck for PPC, which sports the same option to connect to DP like the latest Cyberduck for intel-macs does.

7. Salumbre macrumors newbie

Salumbre

Thanks, Czo, one more time. You are our hero. :)

I have not tried with Cyberduck (in fact, I cannot find my PPC copy, though I have been using it for centuries), but I can tell you for a fact that Fetch -- which I have also been using for millennia, and which recently proved to be more reliable than Cyberduck -- still works on PPC.

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Transmit also still works.

I used to be a Fetch fanatic and then found Cyberduck, but later versions of that started acting weird on me so I switched to Transmit.

Transmit has come a long ways and it's really usable now. Version 4.2 is Universal (although you lose the app icon).

The only gotcha you have to watch out for is attempting to create a desktop shortcut for an FTP server. PowerPC does not like that for some reason and it will freeze the entire system.

9. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Dropbox is working quite well for me across my ppc & intel devices however on my QS I am still struggling to switch accounts. I have to date:

1.) Pref->account->Unlink this drop box. - This just restarts the app with current account vs unlinking.
    2.) Manually delete app & folder. - when I reinstall the DB app, I get a window stating that the DB folder is missing/this DB was previously linked to "the old" account/unlink to reconnect to an account.

I do this and the app restarts with the current account instead of giving me the option to relink with another/different account. I'm fixing permissions and rebuilding launchservices via onyx to see if that helps but I'm running out of idears here lol.

10. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

After you unlink make sure you delete the Dropbox cache folder.

It's a hidden folder inside your Dropbox folder (I am assuming you want to retain the actual Dropbox folder itself).

Here is the filepath: /Users/~username/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache

Note the period in front of "dropbox-cache". It may be easier to get there if you open a Finder window and then use the Go To Folder command.

Just delete everything you find in the folder.

11. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Hmm, what is perplexing is that I deleted the folder outright, so the hidden cache folder should've gone with it. I then replaced it with a copied dropbox folder from my PMG5 sent via bluetooth to the same space on my QSG4 where the old deleted folder lived also replacing the saved cache file. When I go to turn on DB, it still brings up/cycles through to the old account.

Oh well, I'll get back at it later. Time to drink mah coffee :D