Record 20% of Households on Food Stamps

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I've heard Obama referred to the "Food Stamp" president by the likes of Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-20-households-food-stamps-2013

A record 20% of American households, one in five, were on food stamps in 2013, according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

The numbers also show there was a record number of individuals on food stamps in 2013 and that the cost of the program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), was at an all-time high.

The USDA says that there were 23,052,388 households on food stamps in the average month of fiscal 2013, an increase of 722,675 from fiscal year 2012, when there were 22,329,713 households on food stamps in the average month.

- See more at: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-20-households-food-stamps-2013#sthash.SwvrERH0.dpuf
What exactly is the point of contention here? Food stamps feeds people, and acts as a somewhat de facto subsidy to the farm industry. Double win.

I'm a big advocate of feeding, educating and providing healthcare to Americans, and I've yet to hear a good reason why someone is opposed to the food stamp program.

So-called Conservatives love to harp about the "food stamp" president, but I've to hear why the food stamp adoption rate represents a negative for the United States.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Republicans don't want their taxes to help others.
Fixed.

Face it - democrats care about society as a whole and do what's best for society even if it may not be in their own best interest, while republicans care only about themselves and will only do something that's in their own best interest, F everyone else. One of the key differences between parties.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I've heard Obama referred to the "Food Stamp" president by the likes of Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-20-households-food-stamps-2013

What exactly is the point of contention here? Food stamps feeds people, and acts as a somewhat de facto subsidy to the farm industry. Double win.

I'm a big advocate of feeding, educating and providing healthcare to Americans, and I've yet to hear a good reason why someone is opposed to the food stamp program.

So-called Conservatives love to harp about the "food stamp" president, but I've to hear why the food stamp adoption rate represents a negative for the United States.
In a country that has outsources most of its industry, gives a free pass to mega corps and the rich to outsource, and has some of the worst wealth disparity in the entire world, with a food system rigged to make people sick, and a healthcare system built to keep you broke, is this surprising?

This is why I think that people who want Foodstamps cut just want to kill off people.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
He's playing Santa to his hoards of minions , math is cast aside as it brings the truth. Living in fantasyland is easy for the takers.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Fixed.

Face it - democrats care about society as a whole and do what's best for society even if it may not be in their own best interest, while republicans care only about themselves and will only do something that's in their own best interest, F everyone else. One of the key differences between parties.
BS. If Democrats cared so much for the poor why after 6 years of a democratic president do we have 20% of americans on food stamp? Either this program is out of control and fraud is running wild or people really need them and the economy STILL really sucks. I'm betting the economy still sucks as indicated at the record 30 year low labor participation rate which goes hand in hand with the high for stamp participation rate. Go Democrats! Helping the poor to continue to be poor.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
He's playing Santa to his hoards of minions , math is cast aside as it brings the truth. Living in fantasyland is easy for the takers.
Takers?

Half of food stamp recipients are employed.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Fixed.

I was trying to be politically neutral. ;)

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
BS. If Democrats cared so much for the poor why after 6 years of a democratic president do we have 20% of americans on food stamp?
Well, a glance at the data suggests that the economy is actually growing at a decent clip.

The problem, of course, is that virtually ALL of the benefits of the economic growth, productivity increases, etc. of the past thirty years have gone to the richest 1% of Americans.

The same people Conservatives like you spend all their time kissing up to, with your nonsense about "Moochers" and Atlas Shrugged.

Want to see less people on Foodstamps? Then support raising the minimum wage to the point where it becomes a living wage. Or quit pretending the collective bargaining (ie. giving working people some say in how their work lives proceed) is the moral equivalent of Stalinism (it ain't.)

Otherwise, just be quiet.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Or with children.

It's not like 21 year old students are sitting around playing Call of Duty and getting food stamps.
Exactly.

What most Neo Cons do not seem to understand is that most People on Foodstamps are elderly, disabled, or actually working.

But then again, most Neo Cons in America want these people dead in the street,

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That whole takers comment reminds me of the 47% thing. You know, the one where only about 8% of said people are actually working age people who are unemployed?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm generally quite pro-helping others as well. And I have no problems with the foodstamps and Medicaid systems.

My main question is what the heck is going on in this country when we elect a president who's held up as the answer to all our prayers, the very antithesis of the guy who supposedly ruined our economy, and 5 years later the financial situation is apparently worse than ever because 20% of folks can't feed themselves properly.

20% of people on food stamps? hey if they really need it then that's great; I'm glad it's available. But why the heck is 2 out of every 10 people in our country apparently unable to feed themselves adequately? I thought things should have improved by now, not gotten worse?

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
The problem, of course, is that virtually ALL of the benefits of the economic growth, productivity increases, etc. of the past thirty years have gone to the richest 1% of Americans.

--

Want to see less people on Foodstamps? Then support raising the minimum wage to the point where it becomes a living wage.
Yup.

Employed but don't make enough money to pay their rent AND eat.

Look at how much Walmart pays their employees and how many of them are drawing SNAP.
That is pretty much it. For the bottom 40% of jobs in the U.S., real wages have been stagnant for decades. We've all seen the graphs -- that is what those graphs mean.

My main question is what the heck is going on in this country when we elect a president who's held up as the answer to all our prayers, the very antithesis of the guy who supposedly ruined our economy, and 5 years later the financial situation is apparently worse than ever because 20% of folks can't feed themselves properly.
Say what?!?!

20% of people on food stamps? hey if they really need it then that's great; I'm glad it's available. But why the heck is 2 out of every 10 people in our country apparently unable to feed themselves adequately? I thought things should have improved by now, not gotten worse?
Here is a slightly older graph:

Lots more on this page:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
LOL. The Democrats are a lesser evil. Harry Reid is as obstructionist as the Republicans. If the Democrats were so forward looking and willing to help others, an extension of unemployment benefits would have been a part of the recent budget. The fact is, railing against the Republicans not passing it is better politically for them than if they had been extended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
LOL. The Democrats are a lesser evil. Harry Reid is as obstructionist as the Republicans. If the Democrats were so forward looking and willing to help others, an extension of unemployment benefits would have been a part of the recent budget. The fact is, railing against the Republicans not passing it is better politically for them than if they had been extended.
You guys were still paying unemployment benefits from the 2008 recession and you want to extend them? If someone hasn't found a job yet they might want to either change fields or set their sights a bit lower. My friend back home was actively putting off job hunting because he had the benefit, and I imagine lots of other people were as well. 2-3 year free ride.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011

I'm in no way defending the Democrats but from what I've seen, they're not as obstructionist as Republicans. What they really are is unwilling to standup to Republicans and led by an equally spineless president who acts like a real moderate Republican himself. Both the president and mainstream Democrats give into Republican pressure all the time in order to appear agreeable when facing the conservative media.