Record 20% of Households on Food Stamps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I've heard Obama referred to the "Food Stamp" president by the likes of Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-20-households-food-stamps-2013

What exactly is the point of contention here? Food stamps feeds people, and acts as a somewhat de facto subsidy to the farm industry. Double win.

I'm a big advocate of feeding, educating and providing healthcare to Americans, and I've yet to hear a good reason why someone is opposed to the food stamp program.

So-called Conservatives love to harp about the "food stamp" president, but I've to hear why the food stamp adoption rate represents a negative for the United States.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Some people don't want their taxes to help others.

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

Fixed.

Face it - democrats care about society as a whole and do what's best for society even if it may not be in their own best interest, while republicans care only about themselves and will only do something that's in their own best interest, F everyone else. One of the key differences between parties.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

In a country that has outsources most of its industry, gives a free pass to mega corps and the rich to outsource, and has some of the worst wealth disparity in the entire world, with a food system rigged to make people sick, and a healthcare system built to keep you broke, is this surprising?

This is why I think that people who want Foodstamps cut just want to kill off people.

5. sixrom macrumors 6502a

He's playing Santa to his hoards of minions , math is cast aside as it brings the truth. Living in fantasyland is easy for the takers.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

BS. If Democrats cared so much for the poor why after 6 years of a democratic president do we have 20% of americans on food stamp? Either this program is out of control and fraud is running wild or people really need them and the economy STILL really sucks. I'm betting the economy still sucks as indicated at the record 30 year low labor participation rate which goes hand in hand with the high for stamp participation rate. Go Democrats! Helping the poor to continue to be poor.

7. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

Takers?

Half of food stamp recipients are employed.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You don't understand what's going on in your own country do you?

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I also wonder what percentage (and it may be a small one) are elderly?

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I was trying to be politically neutral. ;)

11. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

Or with children.

It's not like 21 year old students are sitting around playing Call of Duty and getting food stamps.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, a glance at the data suggests that the economy is actually growing at a decent clip.

The problem, of course, is that virtually ALL of the benefits of the economic growth, productivity increases, etc. of the past thirty years have gone to the richest 1% of Americans.

The same people Conservatives like you spend all their time kissing up to, with your nonsense about "Moochers" and Atlas Shrugged.

Want to see less people on Foodstamps? Then support raising the minimum wage to the point where it becomes a living wage. Or quit pretending the collective bargaining (ie. giving working people some say in how their work lives proceed) is the moral equivalent of Stalinism (it ain't.)

Otherwise, just be quiet.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Exactly.

What most Neo Cons do not seem to understand is that most People on Foodstamps are elderly, disabled, or actually working.

But then again, most Neo Cons in America want these people dead in the street,

15. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Employed but don't make enough money to pay their rent AND eat.

Look at how much Walmart pays their employees and how many of them are drawing SNAP.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That whole takers comment reminds me of the 47% thing. You know, the one where only about 8% of said people are actually working age people who are unemployed?

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm generally quite pro-helping others as well. And I have no problems with the foodstamps and Medicaid systems.

My main question is what the heck is going on in this country when we elect a president who's held up as the answer to all our prayers, the very antithesis of the guy who supposedly ruined our economy, and 5 years later the financial situation is apparently worse than ever because 20% of folks can't feed themselves properly.

20% of people on food stamps? hey if they really need it then that's great; I'm glad it's available. But why the heck is 2 out of every 10 people in our country apparently unable to feed themselves adequately? I thought things should have improved by now, not gotten worse?

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Yup.

That is pretty much it. For the bottom 40% of jobs in the U.S., real wages have been stagnant for decades. We've all seen the graphs -- that is what those graphs mean.

Say what?!?!

Here is a slightly older graph:

[​IMG]

Lots more on this page:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

19. rdowns, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL. The Democrats are a lesser evil. Harry Reid is as obstructionist as the Republicans. If the Democrats were so forward looking and willing to help others, an extension of unemployment benefits would have been a part of the recent budget. The fact is, railing against the Republicans not passing it is better politically for them than if they had been extended.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You guys were still paying unemployment benefits from the 2008 recession and you want to extend them? If someone hasn't found a job yet they might want to either change fields or set their sights a bit lower. My friend back home was actively putting off job hunting because he had the benefit, and I imagine lots of other people were as well. 2-3 year free ride.

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No, we're so demotivated and depressed that it's not even worth the effort to go outside.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Heaven forbid.

23. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I'm in no way defending the Democrats but from what I've seen, they're not as obstructionist as Republicans. What they really are is unwilling to standup to Republicans and led by an equally spineless president who acts like a real moderate Republican himself. Both the president and mainstream Democrats give into Republican pressure all the time in order to appear agreeable when facing the conservative media.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's amazing how quickly they forget the lessons learned in the school-yard.

If you give in to a bully, he will only get worse with time.