Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced during its earnings call that it sold 5.5 million Macs in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2014, which is the highest quarter ever for Mac sales. The 5.5 million Macs sold is up almost 1 million year-over-year and represents a 21% growth from 2013, creating $6.6 billion in sales. The company also noted that it sold a total of 19 million Macs for all of fiscal 2014, saying that sales were particularly strong for the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air.
retina-imac-27.jpg
Apple launched updated models for nearly all of its Macs in 2014, aside from the redesigned Mac Pro which was released last year. The MacBook Air was updated in April and brought a price reduction along with slightly faster Haswell processors, while the MacBook Pro saw a minor update in July which also brought Haswell and Crystal Well processors that improved battery life. Last week, Apple launched a new 27-inch iMac with a high-resolution "Retina 5K" display, and updated the Mac mini for the first time in three years with Haswell processors and new Intel HD Graphics.

The company is also rumored to be working on a new 12-inch MacBook, which will feature a new ultra slim design and a high-resolution Retina display. Reports have suggested that the new MacBook will come in the iPhone color variants of Silver, Gold, and Space Gray, and will integrate fan-less internals with a Broadwell-Y low-power Core M processor along with the possible adoption of USB Type C. The 12-inch MacBook is said to be launching in mid-2015.

Article Link: Apple Sells Record-Breaking 5.5 Million Macs in Q4 2014

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Persistent hiccups and plentiful sales. Apple is certainly not doomed, but it's veering eerily close towards a "fat elvis" era.

And that didn't go so well the last time...

There are enough companies focusing on sales figures. No matter how popular or unpopular Apple are, I just want them to make high quality products. It's a dying art.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Persistent hiccups and plentiful sales. Apple is certainly not doomed, but it's veering eerily close towards a "fat elvis" era.

And that didn't go so well the last time...

There are enough companies focusing on sales figures. No matter how popular or unpopular Apple are, I just want them to make high quality products. It's a dying art.

We'll said that man! Accurate analogy there !

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Woo. Crazy to think they're selling way more than they ever did when the Mac was their top product line.

Now make a retina 21.5 and MBA.

simonb76

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
They could have sold more if they did something extra special with the Mac Mini update. Never mind, iPhones and iPads is their bread and butter.

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
AAPL is outperforming DJIA and NASDAQ on 1d, 1m, 3m, 6m, YTD, 1y, 5y, and 10y horizons. Oh, not 5d. Yep. Doomed.

paysdoufs

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
6.6 B / 5.5 M = an average price of 1200 $ per unit --> It's the bread-and-butter stuff that's driving sales, not some fancy 5K 27' iMac... I'm sure there would be a market for a fairly priced, non-All in one desktop Mac.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
They could have sold more if they did something extra special with the Mac Mini update. Never mind, iPhones and iPads is their bread and butter.

That announcement was but a few days ago. The new Mac Mini sales wont be included in today figures.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
It's too bad that most of their computers suck now; I'd rather switch to Windows than buy a computer that I can't even upgrade the ram in. It's planned obsolescence at it's finest at Apple these days.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Apple has slyly made the iPhone a gateway drug to the Mac. People who are satisfied with their iOS devices become curious to try the Mac. I've noticed that iPhone/Mac tends to be the dominant combo for many students on my campus.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Bingo. They aren't, or won't be hurting any time soon unless they get too complacent and it catches up with them in the future.

It only takes one company with one product to bring down a giant.

Nokia did it to Motorola, Apple did it to Nokia, Samsung did it to Sony and Panasonic...

It's not about complacency. When you have a massive user base, it gets hard to keep everyone happy and when you start trying to be all things to all people, you end up being nothing to anyone. It makes it easy for a smaller disruptive force to capture the attention and imagination of the public and once it gets traction there is a snowball effect.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
It only takes one company with one product to bring down a giant.

Nokia did it to Motorola, Apple did it to Nokia, Samsung did it to Sony and Panasonic...

It's not about complacency. When you have a massive user base, it gets hard to keep everyone happy and when you start trying to be all things to all people, you end up being nothing to anyone. It makes it easy for a smaller disruptive force to capture the attention and imagination of the public and once it gets traction there is a snowball effect.

I should have said complacency and profit margins. I think both have lead to the mac mini and ipad mini upgrades. Probably both on the buggy ios updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.