Record Cold=climate denier, but record highs=silence??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

FoxNews has a history of pointing out cold days and record cold temperatures, while simultaneously arguing that the global warming scientists must somehow be frauds.

I don't watch all that often, but has anyone seen FoxNews point out all the RECORD high temps we have been having this winter/early spring?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I think people are bored of the climate discussion, that's all.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, the next time we have abnormally low temperatures, you expect FoxNews to not mention climate change? Or, you think everyone accepts it?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I just think its strange we had extreme solar activity 2 weeks ago that they thought was going to knock out electric systems and now we have some nice weather.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Most climate deniers aren't climate deniers, they are man made climate deniers.

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, you are right, they assume that because man released massive amounts of carbon into the air, the increased carbon that is causing global warming isn't man made.

:rolleyes:

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Neither, I just think it's not the cool (no pun intended) thing to discuss right now. Amidst the changing politics and other shock-stories, they've got bigger (and smellier) fish to fry.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

All that CO2 in the air must have caused the ice age to happen, and then melt again. Must have been all those cars and factories 200,000 years ago.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The earth has been both colder and hotter than it is today without human intervention. We will be fine.

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

No! Don't you understand!? Our records since 1850 are clearly representative of the average of MAJILLIONZ of years!

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

True, but we have never had so many people living next to sea level. Man made or not, we need to prepare for the consequences.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Who is "they"?

Congratulations of being "bored" of a field of science that you demonstrably don't understand at all.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You are correct, this could be really bad news for NYC and Long Island.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But that occurred over much, much longer timescales.

Anyway I don't understand the big deal about climate change denial. A lot of the measures (e.g. greater efficiency, home insulation etc etc.) are good for their own sake, either in terms of improved energy security or saving money, regardless of whether or not climate change is real.

15. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes it has! Great point. The odd thing is that when it was warm, scientists have been able to determine what the carbon levels were in the atmosphere. They have also been able to track the recuctions in carbon levels and the resulting ice ages. There are theories that the rise of the himalayas caused acidic rain to deplete the carbon from the atmosphere, leading to the last ice age, but that's just a theory.

Regardless, when carbon is high, we get hot. When carbon is low, we get cold. Carbon is rising because of humans digging it out of the ground, burning it, and then sending it into the air. Not only is it rising, but it is rising faster than any prior historical rise we have any evidence of.

Draw your own conclusions.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And those people (IMO) are idiots.

From NASA ...

For anybody who finds that "boring" ... well ... I guess there's always video games. :rolleyes:

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

18. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I don't get what you're insinuating. I was being sarcastic and suggesting that our mere 160 years of records on temperatures isn't enough for people to be able to say things like, "It's 80 in March! GLOBAL WARMING!" because I'm sure if we could get readings from 1,000 years ago, there were times it was 80 and 8 in the same decade.

Also, if you're suggesting I'm bored of the discussion, I'll point out I spoke of people, not people like me.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My conclusion is that if human made carbon is the only factor in growing temperature we should plan a macrumors picnic in Siberia 2050. Who's in?

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Straw man.

Who has claim that Siberia will become warm and pleasant by 2050?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Siberia already is warm and pleasant in the summer.

And for it to be warm and pleasant in the winter, well we'd have to raise global temperatures by 15ºC (source).

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This ship is unsinkable it has the very latest technology we will be fine.

23. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Naturally occuring carbon is important too, as is carbon absorbsion, and many other factors. The key being the carbon levels in the atmosphere regardless of where it comes from.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Carbon emissions will continue to grow especially with cheap tech and undeveloped continents. If it is true that human carbon emissions are causing warming there is no reason to believe the warming would stop.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If what major news stations put to air is your conduit to understanding the world I can see where the cause of your confusion lies.

:D