Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Oct 17, 2011.

?

Do you support legalizing marijuana

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    87.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. don't care

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, well, well......

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So now they just need to get old conservative republican women from the south on their side. Quite a niche audience ;)

3. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Hmmmm... I wonder how many Macrumors members support it?
    Do you think it will ever end up being legalized?

4. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Add a poll to this thread?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This Is Interesting

And your graph shows you have done your research. I suffer from constant pain from several medical conditions that I won't post hare as it contravenes forum rules.

I am on an ever increasing dose of the most powerful and addictive pain relief known to man (once again won't post but you get the gist) Many friends have suggested that the use of cannabis would provide me with a similar amount of pain relief without the nasty side effects and the point at which my dose can not be increased any further.

Cnt see it happening in the USA or the UK any time soon. But my rant is an obvious one.....Legalise, organise and the tax and revenue from the controlled sale would be huge.

Any DDA guy will tell you it's a losing battle.."Smugglers Blues" comes to mind, but its true. You've got Colombians building submarines to smuggle coke for ** sake.

Will it happen in my lifetime? I doubt it. Will I try cannabis as an alternative / addition to my pain relief. Probably.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I support it.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Legalized and dispensed by licensed professionals is good but ideally I'd like it see it simply DECRIMINALIZED. Having it legal but still under quite a lot of government control just makes it big business and lands everyone with all the problems associated with that. Small dispensaries and growers won't be able to compete and prices will skyrocket while quality, choice and friendliness nosedive. Simply decriminalized doesn't stomp big business but it should mean fewer complications and problems without ruining it for "the little guy".

Unfortunately cannabis being illegal is purely a political move. It's easy to kick the "hippies", push misleading propaganda, especially when supporting legalizing/decriminalizing is usually political suicide. It's an incredible shame.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm glad more people are favoring legalization.... but I'm more glad that I live in California :D

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It matters little how many people favour it.

Do the lobbyists in Washington favour it?

You remember them, right?.

The voice of Corporate America, who have way more "votes" in Washington than any large group of people.

10. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

+1

I'd love to see those results...

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I definitely see many benefits to legalization of cannabis but it would come with a lot of negatives. By legalizing it, the government makes it seem like it is okay for everyone to use. I don't know about everyone else, but it scares the ***** out of me when I see a teen who is texting on their phone - now imagine they are high & texting.

I'm not saying people don't get high & drive now, but having a legal barrier definitely makes it less likely than if cannabis is legalized.

Sure, it definitely benefits people (ex. pain suffers, cancer patients etc...) - I recognize that too. But it seems like there would be a lot of abuse. I don't think we need to add another legal drug to that list of abused medication.

12. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I have a simpler solution to the whole driving issue; if they get caught under the influence (read: over the legal limit of the respective substance) they lose their license permanently. There's no excuse to not be responsible. Now the issue in the US is that the public transportation system isn't exactly top notch... but that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Drugs are abused by people who have a tendency to abuse drugs. This fact shouldn't ruin it for everyone else who has a sense of self-imposed limits.

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree.

And of course I got voted down on speaking my mind on a thread inquiring about opinions, lol.

@iBlue - I agree with what you're saying. I personally believe people should be allowed to do anything they want as long as it doesn't negatively affect others. But unfortunately, with the government 'okaying' weed usage, people will be irresponsible & us as a society will pay the consequences.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

But that's not what I'm saying. Alcohol is legal. Not everyone goes out and gets completely trashed and drives home. You can't tar everyone with the same brush, let alone blame the intoxicant for it, legal or not.

Besides, I'd prefer a bunch of stoners to a bunch of drunks any day.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't get to excited, the DEA is cracking down on the pot shops.

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Don't let a little thing like "law" come between you and medication. Try it out. If it helps, use it. If it doesn't, don't. But dear God, man, don't let a political football prevent you from improving your health.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Marijuana should not even be classified as a drug ... it is the only "Drug" from thousands with zero OD level ... you cannot OD from it where every other Drug does have an OD level.

nobody has ever died from Marijuana ... however legal Alcohol poisoning kills people daily. ... as the saying goes ... if ya got them, smoke them.

http://www.soop.ca/potfacts/

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only reason that pot is a "gateway drug" is because when you go to a dealer he tries to sell you more powerful stuff. If the government was in control of it they could just give you unlaced pot the thing most people are after to begin with.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Alcohol causes a lot more deaths too.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I don't really care about drugs being legal or not but i do think a poll would be interesting with like 3 options:

Yes
    No
    Don't care.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Record-High 50% of Americans are an Immediate Danger to Their Children, Requiring Police Intervention, According to Colorado Pizza Delivery Guy

23. Mord, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I don't really buy the argument, people who want to smoke weed pretty much smoke weed, the law is merely an inconvenience and a risk to their livelihoods. I don't think that upon legalising cannabis one would see a sudden hike in usage, stats from countries that have decriminalised certainly back this up.

I don't smoke cannabis myself, I just don't see where society benefits from criminalising the activity of such a large portion of the population. It's insane and the possibly negatives associated with legalisation are so utterly insignificant compared to how things are now.

I'd be interested in seeing a poll options to reflect whether you use cannabis and whether legalisation would change whether you would use cannabis.

24. imahawki macrumors 6502a

It will be legalized in the US in my lifetime (33).