Record numbers go hungry in the US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Richest country in the world and almost 17 million children did not have enough food in 2008.

I find that utterly extraordinary. Enjoy your dinner tonight.

2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Where did you pull that "fact" from ?

How about Luxembourg, Norway, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE and Singapore ?

Also
    who decides how much is "enough". By American standards, it seems anything less than a super-sized burger, a super-sized soda and super-sized french fries every meal is not enough...

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Maybe if Obama didn't penalize charitable giving and charitable donations these 17 million hungry Americans would have something to eat!

Obama's charity tax limits upset Democrats and Republicans...

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It's right there in the article, and the original post:

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

The total GDP of the US is approx. equivalent to Japan, China, Germany, France and the United Kingdom combined.

The US is no. 6 at GDP per capita, but that is skewed by the widest distribution of wealth anywhere on the planet.

I don't believe you're discussing this in good faith. Millions of children and your fellow citizens in hunger and you're making sweeping statements about junk food based on little more than your perceptions? Slightly skewed, don't you think? I mean, how much hunger in an advanced economy is tolerable?

Note that these figures were for 2008, mostly before Obama was elected.

6. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Right, because Obama can go back in time and create a budget for 2008.:rolleyes:

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Go teach these people to fish. Maybe they will catch a few before they die.

/sarcasm
    :rolleyes:

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

A paid link to drudgereport.com on UPI's website is hardly a credible source. Care to provide an actual law or rule that's been changed? Or, are we supposed to simply have faith in drudge's extremist politics...

It's shameful that hunger is so prevalent in this country.

9. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I'm not familiar with the US benefit system, is there one? If so what area's does it apply to i.e. housing, financial aid, food stamps

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Certainly at the very least Argentina and South Africa are more unequal.

There is a chart on wikipedia which puts the US around the middle, but I don't think the data is very reliable as there are a lot of countries who are out of place (for example India is much more unequal than China is - whereas the chart claims the opposite.)...

It only applies to the richest 1%, who can well afford to give lots of money to charity without a tax break.

@ the OP, this is pretty disgraceful really. I'd be shocked if this figure is above 1-2% or so in the UK (which would be about 1 million people).

11. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

On the surface this is sad. However, I wonder how many of these children that are hungry live in households with TVs, cell phones, and DVD players.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Essentially there are federal programs like Section 8 for housing vouchers, Aid For Dependent Families for Cash Aid, and Food Stamps.

These programs are then run by the states and each state has its own widely varying rules and limits. Some states are generous, some are miserly, most require those on welfare to be actively looking for work.

The program was a lot different until Bill Clinton's welfare reform in the 90s. It was generally more generous and was more able to adapt quickly to changes in unemployment, market conditions, etc. Now, it's severely broken in most states and since part of the funds are contributed by the states, many programs are virtually bankrupt. Food Stamp allowances really haven't kept up with food inflation of the last few years and families really struggle to survive on the meager allowance.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The report is for 2008. Obama became President in 2009. Swing and a miss!

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What's your point? That families should be expected to sell everything they own before they get assistance? What will you propose next, their beds? The childrens' school backpacks, perhaps even all the clothes they aren't wearing?

15. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Your argument is flawed. Children need to eat. People don't need cell phones, TVs, or DVD players. I've been around people that don't have 2 nickels to rub together, but they have a cell phone.

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

Why dont you find that out for real before you comment on what is happening :rolleyes:

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

People who really don't have enough money for food aren't going to spend their money on anything else (except maybe clean water)...

I guess the people you were around weren't actually that poor.

18. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

And one of the first things the idiot did was foolishly cut tax deductions for charitable donations; denying major donations for homeless, much-needed non-profit funding, and help for the hungry in the United States from the wealthy!

Obama’s attack on one of America’s most successful institutions
    http://www.extremewisdom.com/?p=1825
    "It is the buzz of the philanthropy world, news that President Obama’s fiscal 2010 budget blueprint cuts tax deductions for charitable donations (and other items) for Americans in the top income brackets. While some fear a falloff in donations, others are asking about motive. Would wealthy Americans really stop giving to charities if their deductions were reduced? Under the president’s plan, itemized tax deductions for charitable giving and mortgages would be capped for those earning more than $250,000 a year. Changes would be phased in gradually over the next few years.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well that proves those companies motives were money and not charity.

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Who cares? The charity does help the hungry and Obama's act prevents a good portion of charity! If you are truly hungry are you going to refuse food because of the company's motives?

I'm not saying that charity alone is the sole solution to hunger in America but for many it was a workable solution! And Obama put an end to it!

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can give to charity without a tax break you know...

22. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

ummmm not per capita, try Norway

[/QUOTE]I find that utterly extraordinary. Enjoy your dinner tonight.[/QUOTE]

I will thank you :p

btw, I am no right wing freak by any strech, I have no real point in this reply it IS absurd that people go hungry here.... or ANYwhere for that matter

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

That article discusses a plan for 2010. Do you have a source that a) this will actually go into effect and b) it'll have a negative impact on charity contributions?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

BV clarified this ages ago ;).

At least most other countries with large numbers of people who this applies to have the excuse that they can't afford it.

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It occurs to me that you have missed the point of the PRSI forum. It is the Politics, Religion and Social Issues forum. Hunger is a social issue as much as if not more than a political one. Would you care to discuss the social impacts of hunger in the United States and how we as a country should confront the issue on a moral and ethical level? Would you perhaps care to read the article posted and speak directly to it? Or do you wish to continue your anti-Obama tirade across all threads no matter the subject?

There are ways of including policy discussion in threads without blaring the horn, you know.

----

Unfortunately, the numbers don't really surprise me with the way the economy has been.