Recording a call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by canwe3, Jan 12, 2013.

1. canwe3 macrumors member

why won't apple allow recording a phone call? It's legal long as the other party knows about it. With android I could use stock recorder to record phone calls. I tried different apps and the phone just won't allow phone recording. Seriously I think iphone5 might be my last iphone, might go back to android.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. hafr macrumors 68030

It's funny how laws differ. Where I'm from, recording conversations is legal as long as at least one of the parties involved knows you're listening, that means any conversation you're a part of. For instance, two people are sitting at a table talking, you're sitting down next to them with a hidden recording device - there is no way that they're not aware of the fact that you can hear them, and thus it's legal for you to record what's being said without them knowing about it. Even sitting by the table next to them, they should be aware of the fact that people around them can hear them since they're in earshot.

Although it's not legal to hide under the table and record them if they believe they're on their own.

This, together with it being legal to take pictures of anyone, means it's legal to hide cameras pretty much everywhere and record what's going on - as long as you're not recording sound.

Example: the building owner who installed a camera in the shower in the apartment of a young woman and only got sentenced for trespassing, since no sound was recorded and images are not illegal (although he would have been sentenced if he would have published the images)...

4. mrbrown macrumors 6502

There is no recording feature because the laws on it vary so widely. In the US, for instance, every state has its own laws which govern telephone recording (one party vs two party states), and the federal government has laws regarding it when calls cross state lines...

Not to mention every country is different. So yeah, ain't going to happen. I had an old Nokia that could record phone calls, but it would let out a loud beep to both parties every 15 seconds (to comply with notification requirements)... Completely useless.

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you were serious about recording a call there are ways to do it.

I'm sure that someone in the jailbreak community has an app available, otherwise you can go analog and use a cable apparatus.

6. canwe3 thread starter macrumors member

doesn't make any sense that the biggest market share OS (android) allows it but apple doesn't.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Only in some jurisdictions. Others require both know

9. hafr macrumors 68030

The reason might be as simple as someone at Apple hates the idea of being recorded without their knowledge that they've decided to not implement the possibility.

When the original iPhone came out, it couldn't send MMS. It still doesn't have Bluetooth file transfer capabilities. There is no accessible file structure.

There are loads of things that Android allows that Apple doesn't or didn't. This specific thing is so far down the list it's not even funny...

10. 617aircav Suspended

You know you can use your google voice number on an iPhone to record a call.