Recording audio to a network Drive?

pldelisle

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yeah, I'm ultimately thinking straight connection between the computer and the NAS, so if the port on the computer and the port on the NAS support higher speeds, they ought to negotiate to their highest common speed. (no switch in between; the switch would be between the NAS and the rest of the network, as this is the single link that I'm most concerned about latency/speed. I can live with a few more switched between the PC and the internet.)
Totally useless. The latency of pc <-> switch <-> NAS vs pc <-> NAS is really negligible.

Unless both PC and NAS have 10gbps and your switch is 1 gbps only, this is useless.

I vote for QNAP/Synology which are very reliable boxes. Yeah, you will pay a price premium for both brands, especially with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, but it totally worth it.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

hobowankenobi

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
...The only thing I would add is that if you had a bunch of other traffic going to the NAS (backups, etc) at the same time, it might make sense to have a secondary 1G connection. Going 10G would negate this.

BTW, with Synology boxes with 2 or more NICs, pretty straight forward to use both. No cost to set up and test. QNAP likey offers the same, but I can't say.

Reactions: gdgross

gdgross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Totally useless. The latency of pc <-> switch <-> NAS vs pc <-> NAS is really negligible.

Unless both PC and NAS have 10gbps and your switch is 1 gbps only, this is useless.

I vote for QNAP/Synology which are very reliable boxes. Yeah, you will pay a price premium for both brands, especially with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, but it totally worth it.
Noted on the switch non-latency.

Possible that in the future I could have a 2.5Gbe NAS and 10Gb PC (and a 1GBe network) which would make that scenario make sense, but i think for the time being I'm going to go w synology 1Gbe NAS

gdgross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
...The only thing I would add is that if you had a bunch of other traffic going to the NAS (backups, etc) at the same time, it might make sense to have a secondary 1G connection. Going 10G would negate this.

BTW, with Synology boxes with 2 or more NICs, pretty straight forward to use both. No cost to set up and test. QNAP likey offers the same, but I can't say.
Thanks hobo- also noted. I assume i'll be able to schedule backups or something to avoid this traffic.

pldelisle

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Noted on the switch non-latency.

Possible that in the future I could have a 2.5Gbe NAS and 10Gb PC (and a 1GBe network) which would make that scenario make sense, but i think for the time being I'm going to go w synology 1Gbe NAS
Then everything is going to run at 1gbps.

The bottleneck is the switch.

If your switch is 1gbps, everything is going to run at 1 gbps.

Finding an affordable 10 gbps switch is practically impossible. That's why it's usually directly connected between 10gbps capable nodes.

10 gbps is a future proof buying. There are no models at Synology with 10gbps NIC built-in. You have to add a card into the unit. https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/tvs-472xt has Thunderbolt 3 + 10 gbps LAN.

Reactions: gdgross

gdgross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Then everything is going to run at 1gbps.

The bottleneck is the switch.

If your switch is 1gbps, everything is going to run at 1 gbps.

Finding an affordable 10 gbps switch is practically impossible. That's why it's usually directly connected between 10gbps capable nodes.

10 gbps is a future proof buying. There are no models at Synology with 10gbps NIC built-in. You have to add a card into the unit. https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/tvs-472xt has Thunderbolt 3 + 10 gbps LAN.
Right, unless i direct connect the computer to the NAS, which is what i was thinking.

That QNAP looks great, but I don't think i'm ready to drop 1k on a NAS when my computer wont even support 10G right now! hah, so it would definitely be for future expansion. I do plan on getting a new machine in the next year or two.

I notes some of the models were 10G over fiber, but i gotta make it happen over copper - almost zero chance of me fitting more/bigger cables in those conduits!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.