Recording Better Video in Photo Mode's Live Preview? (Stay With Me)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 2, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Not to confuse the forum, but I find that the live view in photo mode produces an overall much better image than when the camera is switched over to video mode and subsequently records video. I understand these are both processed differently, but using an app like ProCam reveals more of the shortcomings in video mode, such as far better ISO sensitivity and a much higher available ISO mode in photo mode than video mode. That's fine and all, but when I have the shutter speed matched to the same speed in both modes photo mode comes far ahead to the point both modes look like different cameras. As photo mode is able to be adjusted to 1/23, 1/25, or 1/30 shutter speed the frame-rate options would be more than adequate and prove that the iPhone is capable of taking full video at this quality.

Hopefully that babble wasn't too confusing. Are there any apps or methods for recording video directly from the photo mode's live preview?

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Ok after that post that probably confused 99% of the non-film nerds on here, I found that the ProCam app has a mode called "4K Max" (available as a $4.99 IAP) that records at a 3x higher bit-rate than stock for 3x the quality and also has the significantly better ISO sensitivity of photo mode for much better low-light performance. The 6s camera is really capable of much more than the stock camera app allows for.