Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
What are your opinions regarding Audio Hijack Pro, Radio Shark and Wiretap Pro?

There are some posts that cover this but they are pretty old so I thought I would ask to get some newer opinions:

I would like to record both FM radio as well as radio shows that stream on the internet and then either burn them to DVD or put them on an iPod.

It looks like Audio Hijack Pro might be good for this, but I am confused – do you also have to use Radio Shark with it or can Audio Hijack Pro work by itself with my (old) stereo?? :confused:

My father uses Audacity to record from the radio to his computer but he is a PC user (yikes) and I think these other applications might be better.

I really would appreciate your input, thanks ! :)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I would go with Audio Hijack Pro because it can record in
AAC (or mp3) so the recordings are small. I tried the free version for a while and it was nice because everything was recorded in aiff. I never had any problems with it recording what I wanted and it sounds really good.

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
Oh - I just love Vermont, I we just took a trip to Rutland and Bennington and some other nearby areas.

But anyway, you were able to record from your FM radio? How did you connect it? Thanks a lot!

wwooden said:
AAC (or mp3) so the recordings are small. I tried the free version for a while and it was nice because everything was recorded in aiff. I never had any problems with it recording what I wanted and it sounds really good.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
wwooden said:

i don't recall there being a free version of audio hijack... a demo that cuts out at 10 minutes sure.. but that is hardly a "free version"

if you have a radioshark... then you can use audio hijack pro to grab the audio.. you just select the radioshark app in audio hijack pro and then start recording based on that... it's pretty easy. audio hijack pro can snag audio from any running application so... same goes for the radioshark.

and to answer another question...

The radio SHARK can record any AM or FM radio broadcast in real time. You can also program it to record a scheduled show, or to ‘pause’ live radio so you can return right where you left off moments or even hours before

http://www.griffintechnology.com

reading is fundamental.

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
Recording from FM radio and internet stream to Powerbook – opinions please

Thanks a lot of the input. But one thing that I do not have clear is if I can use Audio Hijack Pro without Radio Shark to record FM radio from my stereo
(I see that Radio Shark has pretty lukewarm reviews).

Thanks a million!

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
The radio shark is pretty cool but you don't need it. What I would do is get a copy of audio hijack (try it out first download the restricted copy) and run a cable from the headphone out your old radio into the line in of you power book. Then setup a new audio hijack "session" and select the input as your line in on your powerbook. Audio hijack is a really awesome program and it's fairly inexpensive especially if you aren't buying a radio shark. Audio hijack also lets you timeshift recordings or "hijacks". The only thing you have to make sure of is that audio hijack is running otherwise your stuff won't get recorded.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
florencevassy said:
Thanks a lot of the input. But one thing that I do not have clear is if I can use Audio Hijack Pro without Radio Shark to record FM radio from my stereo
(I see that Radio Shark has pretty lukewarm reviews).

Thanks a million!

uhm.. i just said in my reply... let me quote it AGAIN..

The radio SHARK can record any AM or FM radio broadcast in real time. You can also program it to record a scheduled show, or to ‘pause’ live radio so you can return right where you left off moments or even hours before

it says it CAN RECORD ANY AM OR FM RADIO BROADCAST IN REAL TIME. it doesn't say you need third party software at all. it'll do it out of the box. so let's sum it up.. NO you dont need audio hijack pro...

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
DXoverDY said:
it says it CAN RECORD ANY AM OR FM RADIO BROADCAST IN REAL TIME. it doesn't say you need third party software at all. it'll do it out of the box. so let's sum it up.. NO you dont need audio hijack pro...

He also said he wanted to record internet radio streams too

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
armandocerna said:
He also said he wanted to record internet radio streams too

well, then yes he'd need audio hijack or audio hijack pro. but he asked twice whether the radioshark could do it after i had answered it. i just don't like repeating myself when the answer is right there. not to mention the pistons are irritating me lately... argh :p

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
Thanks !

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was playing around with Audio Hijack Pro today and I was able to record from the radio (running a cable from the radio to the powerbook) and a couple of internet streams.

Sorry if I seemed to be asking the same question twice, I still am a real newbie about everything :)

Take care, Flo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.