Records: Senators who OK'd war didn't read key report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 29, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

cnn

can't say i'm surprised, but still: sometimes i feel like we do more research on this board than elected officials do in their high-paying jobs...

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Even if they did read it they probably would have voted the same.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well when your primary concern is campaigning for the next election it is hard to do research to actually do the job you're being paid for.

I'd love to see massive campaign reform to the point of allowing campaigning only times when Congress is not in session, and if you are making a presidential run mandatory resignation from your Congressional seat. Campaigning to keep your job should not be more important than actually doing your job.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They didn't read the Patriotic Act either. Some have even said they were surprised to find that Bush took things as far as he did. They expected him to take things slow with diplomacy first, then let the weapons inspectors do their jobs. Most of us could have told them that. Still, many of them lost their jobs anyway, despite the bandwagoning. You'd think they'd learned their lessons, but since they're doing it again, I'm guessing they haven't.

And they're still being criticized for simultaneously being unpatriotic and for being just as responsible for how things have been going, while they continue to say nothing to fight back or defend themselves.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow, this is quite a trend. I wonder what else they didn't read?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I must say, anyone who failed to read either this report or the PATRIOT Act before agreeing to it should have resigned in disgrace by now. Surely the ability to stuff a pork barrel is not the only qualification required?

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If you have not watched Bill Moyer's, "The Buying of the War", you should. The momentum for the war had grown so strong, everyone (almost) was being swept away. The truth was out there for those who wanted to see it. The lies being told by the WH were flagrant and obvious. There was also a great deal of fear to be seen as anti-war. Fox would brand you as anti-American and hound you into submission.

Knight-Ridder did get the story correct. There were no WMD. There were UN inspectors on the ground and they were finding nothing. But, the administration wanted the war for their own reasons, and those they have kept secret, while they continue to squeeze every bit of life out of the lies they told. There are still ignorant people in this country who believe SH had WMD and was somehow linked to AQ and 9/11. All of these are proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be false.

When the Intel report came out, the major news outlets were given copies, with some of the confidential information deleted. It was full of holes, half-truths and outright lies. Yet the NYT, WP, CBS, NBC, ABC and the reset called it a 'compelling case'.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd be more surprised if they actually did read something. Most of them don't read anything. Assistants and pages give them notes. If they even read them. Too much to do, like stump for money so they can campaign more and get reelected.